kaliceand1807

Army AU[Fanfiction]

0
This is a fanfiction that I have already posted, but I really want to know how I can improve it. It is a reader-insert as it is meant for helpless fangirls like myself to feel better and linked to their celebrities. Thank you.

~

dolce et decorum est
pro patria mori

the woods are lovely, dark and deep
but i have promises to keep
and miles to go before i sleep,
and miles to go before i sleep

~
“Will you be back?”

His fingers graze against your cheek, warm at the tips. He doesn’t respond, all he does is rest his forehead against yours. He closes his eyes, breathing in deeply.

You’re worried by the fact that he might not come back. You want him back in one piece, alive and breathing. You didn’t want him to come back, his hands cold and dead, unable to give you that burst of warm ever again.

~
dolce et decorum est
pro patria mori

~

Luke trudges through the jungle, his rifle heavy in his hands. It had been a few weeks since they had started looking for their camp, and they were exhausted. Sweltering sun, pesky flies and dehydration were eating away at him, and he swears he’s on the verge of going insane.

“Hemmings!” Ashton says, running to catch up with him. “You look like you could use a bit of water. You don’t look so good.”

Luke shakes his head. “No. We can’t waste anymore water. Who knows how much longer there is?”

“You’ll be dead if you don’t drink up, brother,” Michael says, limping forward as he had twisted his ankle while running away from enemy troops.

He reluctantly takes the bottle and takes a small sip of water. Ashton scoffs, pushing the bottle towards Luke’s lips.

The water tastes like your lips against his when the both of you lay in bed at night.

Luke kisses you sweetly, his arms wrapped around your waist tightly.
You snuggle closer to him, tangling both your legs under the sheets. Your lips are against his collarbone, and he shivers when you breathe out.

He shakes his head. Now’s not the time to be thinking about you. Not when so much was at stake.

Calum yelps when a bullet whizzes by, causing everyone to turn around with shocked expressions on their faces. Luke runs over to him, making sure he wasn’t injured in any way when another bullet is fired, barely missing his ear. 

“We need to move. Fast.” Michael says, helping Calum up. Ashton fires a few shots in the enemy’s direction before running forward. 

Luke’s breaths get heavier with every step, with every bullet fired at him. The rifle feels a whole lot heavier now. He had killed before, but the guilt was so great he swore to never do it again.

Just one bullet, he thinks. Just one bullet to lighten the load in my arms.

But one bullet turns to two and he’s firing so many that he collapses onto the ground when no more shots are fired at them.
Michael pats Luke on the back, but all he can think about are the faces of those whom he had killed. Did they have someone they needed to return to as well? Luke turns pale at the thought of those men having a girl waiting for them at home, like you, praying for a safe return.

~
The woods are lovely, dark and deep
~

“It’s an ambush!” Ashton calls out, and  Luke immediately dives to the ground, his heart pounding in his chest.

You laugh, placing all your weight on him. Luke groans. “What have you been eating? You’re heavy as fuck!”
“C’mon! Start doing your push-ups! You won’t get strong if you don’t train!”

“I’ll train if you get off me! I’m dying here!”

You giggle rolling off him, and he sighs. “Oh thank goodness.”

Luke sits up, cracking his back as he stretches. 

“Why do I love you?”

“Because I’m special.”

“Oh please! You? Special? You’re just a dorky boy who can’t tell the difference between which shoe goes on which foot!”

“Don’t even!” Luke laughs, tackling you to the ground. “Take that back!”

You squirm as he starts tickling you. “S-stop it! And I w-won’t take it b-back!”

“I guess I won’t stop then.”

Your eyes widen. “Okay f-fine! I take it back!”

He giggles, pecking your lips. “Of course you do.”

~
dolce et decorum est
pro patria mori

the woods are lovely, dark and deep
~

Luke gasps at the sound of Michael’s groan.

Fuck!”

He crawls towards Michael slowly, ensuring that he doesn’t get caught. He just manages to suppress a scream when he sees Michael’s ankle. 

The bone was protruding out of the skin, clearly snapped in half and blood was oozing out. Michael’s face is pale, and there are tears in his eyes.

“Michael, we’re gonna have to… have to…”

“Push it back in?”

“Y-yeah…”

“A-alright. Oh fuck, why did this have to happen? Do you have any cloth or something for me to btie on?”

Luke had barely reached into his backpack when there’s a gunshot, and blood is splattered everywhere.

Where Michael’s head should’ve been was just a bloody mess and it was impossible to even make out his face anymore. Luke stumbles back, and vomits onto the ground. Michael was dead.

There’s a few shouts coming from the back, but Luke’s eyes are focused on the soldier that killed Michael. 

Remember boys, it’s a noble thing to die for your country.

Luke closes his eyes as the soldier inspects Michael.

Dying seems like the best option I’ve got now…

~
the woods are lovely, dark and deep
but i have promises to keep

~

Your eyes are filled with tears, and Luke wipes them away quickly.

“Promise you’ll try to come back?”

“You know I always keep my promises.”

Luke jolts up, gasping. The soldier was laughing hysterically, yelling in a foreign language but the anger that is building up within Luke can not be ignored.

He reaches for his knife and lunges at the soldier, stabbing his face repeatedly. Blood splatters all over his face and Luke is cursing as the knife delves into the flesh with a satisfying squelch. Luke pants, getting off the disfigured soldier and dropping the knife. 

~
but i have promises to keep
and miles to go before i sleep
and miles to go before i sleep

~

Luke trudges through the jungle, his rifle light in his hands. It had been over an hour since the ambush and he had barely made it out alive. This time, however, he’s all alone.

He takes a gulp of water, imagining you walking beside him, telling him what to do.

“Drink up, Luke. It’s going to be a long walk.”

~
dolce et decorum est
pro patria mori

the woods are lovely, dark and deep
but i have promises to keep
and miles to go before i sleep

~

“How are you feeling, soldier?”

Luke shakes his head, completely breathless. He had just reached the camp, and soldiers were serving him food and water and asking what happened to the others.

“We’re going to have to send you back into the field, you know that, right?”

He nods, for he knows that he will do anything to come back to you.

~
and miles to go before i sleep
Dolce et Decorum est - Wilfred Owen
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening - Robert Frost

• November 8, 2015 - 8:19am (Now Viewing)