Peer Review by WordWieldingWriter (United States)

Drought

By: ollieollie

PROMPT: Solastalgia

I didn't know water could run out. It was always there, coming from the faucets, dripping from my shower head, in a bottle in my backpack. It wasn't until the drought warning was issued that I realized everything has a limit.
    It doesn't rain in Southern California. On the off occasion that it rains for a few hours, or at most a day, streets flood, businesses close, roads are redirected, simply because our cities simply aren't built for it. But when I realized we had gone all winter without having to take a different route to school, I knew something was wrong.
    Seven minute showers were now standard. You couldn't water your lawn unless it was after six. Water bills went up. Public pools were drained. Small things that were said to make a big difference. Clouds were light and transparent, never carrying rain or any sort of weight. Those that did simply blocked the sun, they never stayed for long, and often hurried away to rain on some other fortunate place. It killed me that the biggest body of water on the planet was ten blocks away, and we couldn't use any of it.
    The drought warnings went away a few months ago, but the effects are still here. Lawns who hadn't been converted to water-saving pebbles and succulents are still brown and lifeless. Low-flushing toilets are almost a standard in restaurants. But life continues, and we all went back to driving under our palm trees and complaining at the occasional twelve-minute shower. 
    But at least now when I turn on the faucet, I know that it comes from somewhere.

I don't believe that the drought is over. I think that it's just getting started. It just gave us a break for a little while.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

"We all went back to driving under palm trees...shower"
This line is great because it illustrates the fact that people not only adapt after disasters; they are also quick to take advantage of a resource once they get it back. The fact that you learned from this is great, because not a lot of people learn.

I've become more conscious of water ever since I heard about the Cape Town crisis, and even though I don't live in South Africa, nor do I know anyone who lives there, the idea made me really think about how we use water in America. I live in FL, so water is also a huge issue here.

Awesome job, though it could be longer. That's just me, though.