Image

Alex Hale

A library is a hospital for the mind

Another world

0
It was cold. Too cold. My body was numb with pain, as I lay there, the mud resting beneath my weary body. I knew I was going to die, I could feel it coming closer and closer and any minute it will take me, engulfing me in darkness. But, I'm not afraid. I feel peaceful, relaxed, calm even though the world around kept spinning and moving. I could, hear bombs going off in the distance, their explosions rattling the ground beneath me. The screams from my fellow mates, like a constant headache, pounding at my head but I didn't care. I looked past my shoulder, caked in blood and at the jagged rocks which poked out of the ground. Smiling, I realised, this hell hole which I have lived in for 2 years will be the last thing I ever see. No, I don't want that.
So, gently, I felt my eye lids close as I took myself to another world. My home. I watched my 2 beautiful children laugh as they danced around the backyard, the sun glistening on their delicate Bodies. Then, my wife, her innocent smile that had the power to light up anyone's day. I know I am going to die, but there is nothing anyone can do about it.