Morrigan

I'm 16
I'm an artist
I'm an avid reader
I'm a sucker for the enemies to lovers trope
I'm a writer of fantastical lands and improbable circumstances
I also adore all kinds of mythology

Hi guys! I am always open to criticism, and if need be, I can give out criticism. If you ever just want to talk, feel free to check me out on Instagram @she_who_watches_ or at Wattpad for more writing @ -SheWhoWatches-

I'm mostly a fantasy reader, but I take all kinds of recommendations. I also play video games (DMC 5 being a current one) and I love shows like RWBY, Death Note, and Lucifer to name a few!

My Body For The Taking

My mother sat me down the other day, not to talk about sex, or what to do if I found myself in a serious romantic relationship, but to discuss what I was to do if I found myself cornered in an alleyway, or drugged in a bar. My mother told me that I wouldn't be able to take on my attacker because he could snap my brittle neck in one hand, that I, as a fifteen-year-old female, would have to lie down and take it if I truly couldn't get away. I told her that I wouldn't go down without a fight.

I had lied.

If someone had me pinned with such evil intent, my brain would stop. My limbs would feel like lead and my heart a drum in my chest, thumping the countdown to the loss of my innocence. I would be helpless and petrified. My muscles would stiffen, and my jaw clenched as my throat closed up.

I like to call myself honest, brutally and unfiltered, however, I had claimed I would fight my assailant when I knew I wouldn't. I'm still not sure if it was because I wanted to reassure my mum, or because I was trying to convince myself.

It's a little sickening that my mum has to live with the knowledge that one in three girls will experience sexual harassment in their teenage school lives if they go to a mixed school. In the UK, 64% of girls aged from 13-21 claim they have experienced sexual harassment. I find this to be accurate from my own experiences, and the experiences of my female peers. There's a boy at school who used to put his hands around the waists of protesting girls. He'd laugh at my discomfort, and only pull me closer when I told him to remove his hands. When he finally let me go, his fingers left prints that only I could see, a smattering of marks invisible to everyone but I, and they grinned maliciously every time I looked down. No one listened to me when I reported him, I was brushed off by adults who became flustered and uncomfortable at the mention of it.  That same boy ran his fingers down between my shoulder blades during assembly, and there was nothing I could do about it.

We as a society should be teaching our boys that girls are not objects to marvel at. We should be teaching them that girls are not perfectly sculpted slabs of marble, or a beautiful portrait displaying craftsmanship that make the angels weep, or a delicate blossom that has bloomed so daintily. We should not be excusing their behavior with 'boys will be boys'.

However, I do not find the archaic mentality of 'boys will be boys' used only in schools. Harassment, assault and rape in the workplace should not be like the plague, spreading and destroying human decency. I should not have to live in fear of my superior in case I say the wrong thing, and it ends in violence and violation. I should not have to be concerned over whether my superior has ulterior motives. I certainly should not be worried over if my superior decides that my body is more desirable than my work, and I will be useless in stopping it in case I lose my job, or my life. 63% of women in the UK who say they've been harassed in the workplace end up not reporting it, and 79% of men keep it to themselves.

On the subject of obsolete mindsets, according to Survivors UK, over 70,000 men are sexually abused or assaulted, and around 12,000 men are raped per annum, yet men are still told to mask their emotions, and to 'man up' because men can't be hurt or abused. I have a little brother of my own, and when I look at him, I see a child, barely on the cusp of puberty, ignorant to the true dangers of the world. He has no idea that this world will play blind to his pain, and kick him when he's already down and screaming for mercy.

Our little brothers should be taught how to protect themselves against rape and sexual assault regardless of which statistic is higher. Ladies, it doesn't matter if we women have a higher chance of being raped, it isn't solely a female issue, it is a widespread epidemic. Just as I am told to not walk alone at night, or leave my drink unattended in a bar, our brothers should be taught the same.

We sometimes forget that there are men who are suffering too, because the media tends to focus on women's rape, and while it is an issue we as a society need to tackle, so is the silencing of male victims. Too many times, more than I can count, I've seen women shut down male victims because rape against women is the more prominent kind. They like to ignore the fact that those statistics are based on the reported crimes. It is not a secret that men, whether from fear of ridicule, or their own pride, end up not reporting their rape or assault.

Finally, a letter to those who type a slew of abuse to women online, or call male victims pathetic when they have built up the courage to speak out. In your warped view of reality, my body is for the taking, and to you, I am only an innocent for you to defile, a divine creature for you to disgrace.  However, I take solace in knowing that the guilt you feel will eat you alive. That the knowledge that society will have you hung will haunt you, and paranoia will tail you like a dog, that the day of reckoning will come, I'll be waiting, watching with a smile curling my lips.

yours faithfully,
Ellie Wilson.

1

• JediKnightGirl

And thank you for putting this out there because people need to see this and need to read this. This is a real issue and I'm glad people like you are speaking out about it

• JediKnightGirl

This is so true and so terrible (not the writing, you know what I mean). Those opening paragraphs are awesome and so relatable, and they were really a great way to start off the piece. Awesome job.