Campnano2019participant

LuciferRising

Hi! I'm Katy D'lareme. You can find me on other writing sites, such as Archive of Our Own and Nanowrimo. I live in London, I'm on season 14 of Supernatural, and I enjoy writing as a hobby or profession. I'm studying to be an endodontist.

Teaching Cursive in Schools—A Short Argumentative Essay

7
    Computers, cell phones, and tablets have put a wealth of information at our fingertips. However, the use of these devices comes with a price. Keyboards and touch screens are making the practice of putting pen to paper outdated. In fact, the popularity of typing has caused some schools to stop teaching cursive writing to students. Many people argue that cursive is not needed in a world where most people type. But these people are ignoring the benefits that learning cursive provides students. Cursive is still used for many tasks, and learning cursive can help students improve other skills.

Experts argue that removing cursive instruction from classrooms does students a disservice.  Our world is becoming increasingly digital, but this does not mean that script has been abandoned entirely.  Students will eventually learn that cursive is still necessary in our modern world. They will use cursive every time they write a check or sign a form for a loan.

In addition to its real–world uses, learning cursive has other benefits.  Studies show that several areas of the brain are activated by writing in cursive.  These parts of the brain control thinking, language, and working memory. Some of these areas are also activated when printing letters.  But these studies show that writing loopy cursive letters is an even more challenging task for the brain. This is why learning cursive requires so much practice.  However, this practice has its own benefits. Learning to write in cursive improves hand–eye coordination and fine motor control.

Just a short argument piece on whether or not cursive should be taught in schools.

• Boogie With Stu

Good argument, cursive is definitely needed.

• CuaCriaulthy

I LOVE cursive writing & have been using it since I was very little (Mom made sure to teach us all :)
    @paperbird, you should try learning shorthand, it's fun too :D
    @LuciferRising, you presented your arguments really well :DD Cursive rocks!

• mason wong

this is very good!!

• Clare B

I totally agree. My mom taught me cursive when I was in the middle grades and I'm very thankful she did cause my school wouldn't have taught me otherwise. To anyone who hasn't learned yet--It can still be done! It just takes a little practice!

• camlily

I completely agree! I never learned cursive, so every time someone asks me to sign something it's really embarrassing. I've never seen anyone else have this same problem, so thank you for writing this and making me feel not so alone...
    You carried out this argument wonderfully! Good luck for the competition, but I doubt you'll need it ;)

• paperbird

This is really well-written. Tbh, can't say I agree with all of it (cursive seems destined to go along the same path as shorthand, in my opinion) but it's a fascinating piece. Great phrasing.

• Riley Noel

I absolutely agree with this 100%!!!