Peer Review by Madison Simpkins (United States)

Discrimination

By: Kaitlyn ❄

The first exposure that I had to the LGBTQ+ community was watching my favorite show, Doctor Who. Captain Jack Harkness has no care for whether he is with a man or woman and flirts with everyone in between. It was so natural in the show. No one cared. The way he did it was so smooth. And then, at the end of the season, he kissed the Doctor. I wasn't disgusted by it, I wasn't feeling the need to turn my TV off. I had never been exposed to something like this before. I was mildly interested. My first experience with this kind of love was okay and fun. There was nothing wrong with it. It was beautiful.
    In my community, I am a Democrat in a sea of Republicans. I am a girl in an ocean of boys. I am a bisexual woman in a lake of straight people. The LGBTQIA community is still discriminated against, even in the United States. In my area, bisexual people are laughed at, transgenders are put down, and queer people are considered "queer." The LGBTQ+ community has been pushing for rights since 1924. In 1952, it was listed as a sociopathic personality disorder and only a year later, President Eisenhower signed an executive order that prevented homosexuals from working with the federal government. In 2008,  On April 28, 2015, the US Supreme Court ruled that no state can prevent same-sex marriage. Even now, through all struggles, there is still controversy over if transgenders should be allowed to serve in our military. The LGBTQ+ community should be allowed the pleasures and opportunities of any other man, woman, or child.
    The Declaration of Independence states, "all men are created equal... with certain... Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness." According to one of the most important documents in history, there is no reason for the LGBTQ+ community to be ignored or discriminated against. Everyone has the right to pursue Happiness. Everyone has the right to live their Life how they wish. Everyone has the right to cherish their Liberty and to be free. We live in a free country. We declared this in 1776. It is an unquestionable fact that the Declaration of Independence gives humans the right to love whom they please.
    There are many children whom are in need of parentage and love. Thousands of children are in need of loving families and what is better than a healthy, gender neutral family? Most married couples are more likely to attempt to have kids of their own, rather than adopt someone else's. Seeing that homosexual families cannot have children of their own, and may even want children, they will be extremely like to adopt, or at least make an attempt at adoption. Fostered children are a huge problem. Those who live without parents are deprived of a major source of love and confidence. Sometimes, maybe even most of the time, the greatest opportunity for a foster child, is homosexual parentage. As a marvelous chance for fostered children, homosexual couples should be allowed to love whom they please.
    Religious beliefs are often used as a case against homosexual relationships. It is commonly argued that marriage is between one man and one woman, not two women or two men. It is said that gay marriage is unnatural and transgender people are opposing the gender God gave them. However, there are many things said in the Bible that hardly any Christian follows, such as not eating ham and cutting hair on the sides of someone's head. Hardly anyone thinks anything of these actions, particularly the last one. To merely pick out certain things both dishonours the Bible and anyone who is part of the LGBTQ+ community. Not to mention, religion isn't even a part of many people's lives. To make that argument with such few supporting details, really takes the beauty away from it.
    Through the words of the Declaration of Independence, foster children, and through the lack of reason on the other side, it is clear that everyone has the right to marry whom they please. Everyone is created equally and to deny that fact is to deny the purpose of life and love. People struggle with their sexuality and the people they love every day. Often, they are bullied and put down. This struggle will follow them through life. There is no excuse to discriminate against the LGBTQ+ community and to do so is oppose humanity. Don't bully and don't stand for others bullying.

What makes me want to read this is the fact that it is somewhat relatable, and how you start it off.

The main argument in my eyes is that people in the LGTBQ+ community need to be treated the same as everyone else.

The facts, where you got your information from is very factual. Not only are you telling your opinion, but you're also informing everyone who is reading this.

I don't think anything is missing from it. You have convinced me enough as it is.

Keep up your writing, this is very factual and very well wrote.

I support 100%, bring this forward to many people with so many facts is seriously needed. The LGBTQ+ community needs to be treated just like everyone else is. In my opinion, I think it would be awesome if the government would allow people who are apart of the community to be apart of our government. Great job on this.