Kaitlyn ❄

* Feminist * Bisexual * Whovian * Besties with Emilie & Hadley * Loki * Iron Man * ENTP-T * Hermione * Draco * Music * Writing * Depression * Alopecia * Singer * Swimming * Dancing *

I want to call out to my best friends Emilie(Aussie23) and Hadley(BlueWriter). They are amazing people who have inspired me to do better in my life everyday. They have given a real purpose to my life and they have always been there for me. I could not be more grateful. I do not deserve the love that they give me.
Both of you have got me through the most difficult parts of my life and I am eternally thankful for that. Life can be a real struggle sometimes.
I also want to thank everyone on Write the World who has followed me, reviewed my work, and liked my work. I love you all and I would not be here right now without you. Keep up the amazing work.
Tom Hiddleston: Thank you for being Loki and making me smile every day.

Discrimination

The first exposure that I had to the LGBTQ+ community was watching my favorite show, Doctor Who. Captain Jack Harkness has no care for whether he is with a man or woman and flirts with everyone in between. It was so natural in the show. No one cared. The way he did it was so smooth. And then, at the end of the season, he kissed the Doctor. I wasn't disgusted by it, I wasn't feeling the need to turn my TV off. I had never been exposed to something like this before. I was mildly interested. My first experience with this kind of love was okay and fun. There was nothing wrong with it. It was beautiful.
    In my community, I am a Democrat in a sea of Republicans. I am a girl in an ocean of boys. I am a bisexual woman in a lake of straight people. The LGBTQIA community is still discriminated against, even in the United States. In my area, bisexual people are laughed at, transgenders are put down, and queer people are considered "queer." The LGBTQ+ community has been pushing for rights since 1924. In 1952, it was listed as a sociopathic personality disorder and only a year later, President Eisenhower signed an executive order that prevented homosexuals from working with the federal government. In 2008,  On April 28, 2015, the US Supreme Court ruled that no state can prevent same-sex marriage. Even now, through all struggles, there is still controversy over if transgenders should be allowed to serve in our military. The LGBTQ+ community should be allowed the pleasures and opportunities of any other man, woman, or child.
    The Declaration of Independence states, "all men are created equal... with certain... Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness." According to one of the most important documents in history, there is no reason for the LGBTQ+ community to be ignored or discriminated against. Everyone has the right to pursue Happiness. Everyone has the right to live their Life how they wish. Everyone has the right to cherish their Liberty and to be free. We live in a free country. We declared this in 1776. It is an unquestionable fact that the Declaration of Independence gives humans the right to love whom they please.
    There are many children whom are in need of parentage and love. Thousands of children are in need of loving families and what is better than a healthy, gender neutral family? Most married couples are more likely to attempt to have kids of their own, rather than adopt someone else's. Seeing that homosexual families cannot have children of their own, and may even want children, they will be extremely like to adopt, or at least make an attempt at adoption. Fostered children are a huge problem. Those who live without parents are deprived of a major source of love and confidence. Sometimes, maybe even most of the time, the greatest opportunity for a foster child, is homosexual parentage. As a marvelous chance for fostered children, homosexual couples should be allowed to love whom they please.
    Religious beliefs are often used as a case against homosexual relationships. It is commonly argued that marriage is between one man and one woman, not two women or two men. It is said that gay marriage is unnatural and transgender people are opposing the gender God gave them. However, there are many things said in the Bible that hardly any Christian follows, such as not eating ham and cutting hair on the sides of someone's head. Hardly anyone thinks anything of these actions, particularly the last one. To merely pick out certain things both dishonours the Bible and anyone who is part of the LGBTQ+ community. Not to mention, religion isn't even a part of many people's lives. To make that argument with such few supporting details, really takes the beauty away from it.
    Through the words of the Declaration of Independence, foster children, and through the lack of reason on the other side, it is clear that everyone has the right to marry whom they please. Everyone is created equally and to deny that fact is to deny the purpose of life and love. People struggle with their sexuality and the people they love every day. Often, they are bullied and put down. This struggle will follow them through life. There is no excuse to discriminate against the LGBTQ+ community and to do so is oppose humanity. Don't bully and don't stand for others bullying.

• Kaitlyn ❄

That means so much to me. It's awesome knowing that there ARE people in the world like you. It's really refreshing.

• Lumisade

Exactly!
    Right back at ya, every word! You're incredibly compassionate and wise; the world could use more people like you.

• Kaitlyn ❄

Yeah, and it's so hard because you can't see facial expressions so you can take things rude too. And since it's just a computer you're typing in, it's a lot easier to say rude things. Your answer to this piece was really insightful. You're so amazing.

• Lumisade

Same here! The internet really is a terrible place to have discussions of this nature, but it's so refreshing to find people like you who don't jump straight to hate! I, in return really appreciate your kind response!

• Kaitlyn ❄

Thank you so much for your opinion. I have to say the same thing to you about stating your views maturely. Most people I've seen have just kind of hated on me when they see something they don't like. I really appreciate this.

• Lumisade

I do appreciate how maturely you state your views on this subject; most people don't have the same kind of compassion you display here.
    I would like to point something out, though. As a Christian, I'd like to explain a point you made.
    "However, there are many things said in the Bible that hardly any Christian follows, such as not eating ham and cutting hair on the sides of someone's head. Hardly anyone thinks anything of these actions, particularly the last one. To merely pick out certain things both dishonours the Bible and anyone who is part of the LGBTQ+ community."
    Okay, as someone who peruses the Bible often and diligently, I just want to explain how this is flawed.
    It is true that God ordered His people not to eat ham (and many other things) or cut their hair (though I'm pretty sure that was an exclusively Nazirite thing--I could be wrong, though), but here's where it differs: that was back in the Old Testament, before the birth, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Those laws became obsolete after Christ gave His life in place of ours. I could go into more detail, but I won't. Don't want this to be TL;DR.
    I personally feel uncomfortable trying to explain my views on the LGBTQ+ community, because as soon as I mention that I'm a Christian, everybody automatically assumes that I hate all people of that community and wish for them to burn in Hell. So there's discrimination on both sides.
    I hate absolutely no one. Even if I don't agree with their views or lifestyle, that doesn't equate to hatred. It would be hypocritical for me to despise someone for those reasons, because I am certainly not a perfect human being myself, and never will be.
    I was not put on this earth to hate. No one was.
    So while I may not support someone's views or lifestyle, I will never, ever treat them with anything but the love that my God has extended to me.
    Sorry this is so long; thank you for your time.

• Kaitlyn ❄

IKR?! It's just sick.

• Sashbob2018

SUCH an important topic to discuss. I was utterly shocked when I found out that in some countries gay couples can't adopt children. Will we ever learn to accept people for who they truly are?!

• Kaitlyn ❄

Thank you so much!

• I Write Occasionally

Very powerfully worded. You seem very passionate about this! Thank you for writing this- it's awesome that you see the importance.