purplpeanut

Anything, please and thank you!

My friend Will

PROMPT: Child Narrator

1
Mommy told me never to go play with the kid on the other side of the fence. They're bad people, Mommy once told me. Mommy was pretty and beautiful, and I loved her. She read me bedtime stories, and kissed my boo boos and made me lunch. But at night, she would yell at Daddy. All they did was yell. I thought we were happy. But then one day, Mommy wasn't there anymore. Daddy looked the other way. He was drinking something funny and he smelled bad. He yelled a lot, and he cried. I tried to say, "Don't cry Daddy." That didn't stop the tears.

​So against what Mommy said, I went to visit the kid on the other side of the fence. At first, I would just stare at him as I walked to school. And he would stare back. Then soon, we got to talking. We talked about sports. He asked a lot of questions. Why is the color of the sky blue? Why do people cry? Scream? Fight? I told him I didn't know.

He was different. He had purple and yellow skin. He had a black birthmark round his eye. And scratches on his arms, like he got hit by a tree. I brought him bandaids one day. He refused.   As time past by and Mommy didn't return, I went to talk to him a lot. He was on one side of the fence and I was on the other. We had a friend ship. He was my friend! And Daddy? Daddy didn't help me. One of the lady neigh burrs did. She fed me, and bought me clothes, and eventually the men in blue came to our house. They took me away and I got to ride in a cop car, it was so cool. AS we left, we passed my friend's house, the kid on the other side of the fence. He wasn't there. Instead there was an ambuelence. Do you know what an ambuelence is?   And there was a white thing on wheels. And the cop car's were everywhere, the colros lighting up the night. It looked so pretty. "What's going on?" I asked the man who who was in the back of the cop car with me as I pointed out the window. He gave me a sad smile, with emotion in his eyes. "My friend lives there!" I said triumphantly, and the man's face changed. Quickly he put a smile on his face, though it didn't reach his eyes. "Where are we going?" I asked. This time the man knew what to say. "To your mother," he whispered. I nodded. I get to see mommy again!   But I always wondered why Mommy would look at me when I asked about my friend, Will, the boy on the other side of the fence. She wouldn't smile, she'd get sad. Mommy has to remain happy. A smile on our face. And maybe someday, just for Daddy!