Sophia DuBose

I've always loved stories. I love how honest writing is. You really can't hide. Words reveal more than you even realize. It's a risk to put your writing out there, especially in public forums like this, but it's vital if you wish to improve.

This piece is a little personal but it has an important message.

"Are You Okay?"

8
I don't what I expected when I kissed him. I don't what on earth was thinking when he came in for a hug and I impulsively pressed my lips against his. All I knew is that my biology class had become irrevocably hard to concentrate on because my thoughts were drifting in his direction, instead of focusing on the process of global warming. All I knew is that I liked spending time with him. All I knew is that I wanted to kiss him. And as it turns out, he wanted to kiss me too. 
    As the weeks on we began to kiss more often. And then it graduated to more than kissing. While this was all happening he kept doing something that I had never, ever expected. Every time we did something new and even when we were retracing our steps over old ground, he'd pull back look at me in the eyes and ask "Are you okay?" Never in a million years had I thought that someone asking me that question would be romantic. But when he said it, it was. You see, I had somehow come to assume that high school boys didn't particularly care about the comfort of their partners. Maybe it was all the articles I'd read about men's selfishness when it came to sex, or maybe it was because of the questions posed by my male peers during sex seminars. Ones like: "Why should I slow down if she feels uncomfortable with the speed we're going at?" Whatever the reason, I had never expected him to stop and make sure that was comfortable. I don't know if I can convey the way that has effected me. Not only did it validate my enjoyment of what we were doing, but it gave me power over what was happening. It gave me a sense that this was about my experience too. And that's important. That is how it should be. Girls, having a relationship with someone, especially a physical one, is every bit as much about you as it is about him. Most of us already believe that, but when we start a relationship we don't stop him from going places we're uncomfortable with because we're afraid he'll be mad if we do. That's BS, and it needs to stop now. Because it should be about that question: 'Are you okay?' It should be about both of us. 
So to all the boys out there, asking isn't weird. It doesn't ruin the moment. In fact, it's romantic. By asking a girl if she's okay when your kissing her, when your hands are exploring places she's never had touched in that way before; you're showing her the ultimate form of love. You're showing her respect. So, go ahead: ask. 

PS 
Thank you to the boy who asked me in the first place. 

1

• kdxt4life

I absolutely agree that with all the crazy things happening in the world, people of all ages should start respecting each other. I loved this piece and how true it is.

• The Great Gabs-by

I loved the way you brought this idea to light and I do agree that caring for the other party is the real act of love instead of simply physical acts of affection. Loved it!!

• Dani A. Remlap

I love this and completely agree. Communication and respect are musts

• Darth Plagueis The Wise66

Man, I wish I had somebody like that. I don't have a girlfriend. (sobs profusely). I am a senior in high school, and I still haven't gone on a date yet!! :( That was besides the point. What I meant to say before I went off on a tangent, was that this is a very nice and romantic piece. I liked a lot!!