Dragodeus

Philippines

Busy college freshman who'd like to have more time for her writing.

Be gentle (please! Just this once), but be critical!

Hiding in Plain Sight

There is pain, suddenly, sharp and fleeting: her hand connects with his cheek, and the silence that follows the resounding slap is thick and tangible.

Apologies come rushing forth, practiced and familiar, and a hand comes up to cup reddened skin, thumb brushing away the lingering sting.

His eyes, shiny with the tears he refuses to shed, are hard as he pushes her away. There is confusion, and indignation, and it is her tears that are the first to escape.

It pains him to see her like this---then again, what truly hurts more? The answer is lost in a sea of thoughts, and he turns around, anger and sadness roiling in his mind like a furious storm as he walks away.

She will apologize again later, be it after a few hours or after a few days. Her apologies always come, and so do her promises never to hurt him again. He will accept them, and he will accept her, as he always does, yet deep in their hearts they know that promises made are never kept and always broken.

They love each other, or at least they try to convince themselves that they do. He knows what she is, and he knows that the worst monsters are those who don't know they are one.
Oh jeez, I guess this is my first legit piece after a long period of unproductivity. Comments and reviews are immensely welcome: the more critical, the better. :D

• Gabriel Goodwin

Viewing the concept of what truly is a "monster" in a new light, impressive! Good Work!
    Made me feel sad somewhat, for the guy...

• CreativeAngel

Wow. That was unexpected. Great Job!

• mossmachinery

This is really great! I love the idea of a monster being unaware of what she is; and I like the idea of the girl being the monster as opposed to the guy. THUMBS UP FELLOW FILIPINO :))

• BlueWriter

I really like this! I didn't expect anyone to write the Monster Flash Fiction in this form, so I'm surprised how well you put it together.