Dsc 0263

AbigailSauble

Child of God
Pro-life
Photographer
Marine sister
Blogger
English Country Dancer
Dessert enthusiast
Sun-Child
Reader
Musician
Singer
Artist
ISFJ-A
Wind Chaser
Volleyball devotee
Movie quoter
Tea drinker
Airsofter
Cat lover
Youtuber

' "Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet My unfailing love for you will not be shaken, nor My covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD.' ~ Isaiah 54:10

Proud USMC sister!

FAVORITE QUOTES:

"Most people never meet their heroes;
I grew up with mine." ♥

“And the one good thing about being down here, is that we’ll save on funeral expenses.” ~ Puddleglum (The Silver Chair)

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. ~ John F. Kennedy

How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. ~ Winnie the Pooh

https://wheniwasanartist.blogspot.com/

My Ghost: Chapter 2

2
Chapter 2
A Cat and A Journal

The day had a crisp feel to it. Smudges of white appeared at every street corner because of a snowfall two days prior. My Nikon DLSR hung around my neck, and my bag of extra lenses and accessories was slung over my shoulder. The sky shone bright blue, and covered one end of the city to the other with the moon and sun at either end.
I knew some of the constellations hiding behind the daytime sheen. The sky had always fascinated me. When I was little, my family lived in the country where the city lights couldn’t shut out the stars. That’s where my love for photography had truly blossomed. My dream was to go to Alaska and see the Northern Lights.
Portrait photography was my second love, and never grew dull. I could watch people for hours. Taking candid shots was my passion. And Joelle had been a natural.
Don’t go there. I warned myself.
I passed a park where a large, gray squirrel was running across the paved path. Off came my camera cap, and the shutter button was released. I preferred ground-level animal shots, but sometimes one didn’t have time to do so before the moment was gone forever.
My mind strayed to Joelle again. I had known her for only a year, then she was gone. I could’ve done more. Said more. But I let the time slip away. A revving engine awoke me from my thoughts, and I turned the collar up on my jacket to keep the frigid breeze out.
In the distance, I heard the desperate yowl of an alley cat. Another memory surfaced without hesitation.
Do you mind if we don’t get ice-cream?” Joelle lifted her soft eyes to mine. I could tell something was on her mind.
Not at all. Do you just want to talk?” Our shoulders nearly brushed as we walked on the cracked sidewalk. Doing anything with Joelle was perfectly fine with me.
I talked with my mom for a long time last night.” She spoke slowly.
My heart beat faster and I listened intently. It took her a moment to go on.
She said I should clarify what we mean to each other.”
Funny.” I smiled nervously, fiddling with the band attached to my pocket camera. “My dad was talking to me about the same thing a couple days ago.”
She laughed almost uncertainly. We were both anxious. Meaning that we were either awful or perfect for each other. I was hoping for the latter. Joelle looked over and me and chuckled.
Sorry, I didn’t mean to make you nervous. I just wanted to bring it up.” Her eyes were round and solemn.
I seriously wanted to kiss her right then. She was so adorable when she was solemn. But before my face could explode in shades of red, I replied.
No, it’s okay.”
She wrinkled her brow at me as though she didn’t believe me.
Really.” I smiled sincerely.
Do you want to clarify first?” I could feel her trembling beside me.
Sure.” I actually didn’t, but I wanted to make her feel better.
She waited while I gathered my splintering nerve.
I’ve enjoyed every minute.” I admitted, biting my lip. It felt good to say it, but it was awkward at the same time.
Okay.” I thought I saw a smile perk up the corner of her mouth, but I wasn’t certain.
I rolled my next words around my mind for a minute before continuing.
I see you as more than a friend.”
She tensed up slightly; I hesitated to go on.
But I completely respect anything you and your parents decide.” I drew in a sharp breath and waited. I’d had my say; my job now was to calm my heart and remain quiet until she spoke.
During the silence, I zoned in on the world around us. The sky had clouded over, hiding the sky. The weather forecast was predicting a heavy snow shower this afternoon. It’d promised to bring Joelle home before it got bad. We were approaching a book shop and I wanted to ask Joelle if we could go in, but she opened her mouth to speak.
Nathan,” she began.
I could almost see the wheels whirling in her brain.
I’ve also enjoyed being with you.” She swallowed hard.
Don’t be nervous. I silently begged.
I’ve had lots of conversations with God about you, and I feel as though He’s told me to continue encouraging you.”
My mouth felt dry. What was she saying?
I’m not saying that I don’t want to spend time with you anymore.” Joelle hastily went on. I started breathing again.
I just haven’t heard much from Him about . . . . . us.”
Okay.”
If you want me to be honest, though.” Joelle paused. I nodded calmly, though inside I was screaming, “Yes! Tell me!”
I love you.”
My heart sang for joy. She’d spoken what was concealed in my own heart.
God put us into each others lives for a reason. So no matter what happens later, this wasn’t wasted.” Joelle looked up at me.
I feel the same way, Joelle.” I admitted. “Though I’m not a poet like you are.”
That’s not a bad thing.” She smirked, then stopped closer to me and hugged me tight. I was too surprised to say anything. But it felt right. After a moment, she pulled away. “Thanks for being there, Nathan. It means a lot.”
Anytime.” I murmured.
Then a snowflake drifted past my face, and another. The meteorologist had been right.
We’d better get back.” I looked up at the thick, fluffy flakes.
As we passed an alley on our way back, I heard a small meow. Joelle saw the cat before I did, and kneeled down as it came closer. He was brown-striped and fearless. I could hear him purring from my position at the mouth of the alley as Joelle rubbed his whiskered head.
Did someone desert you, sweetheart?” She spoke in a high, soothing voice.
I couldn’t help but wish that Joelle would one day give me an endearing nickname, too.
He’s in complete bliss.” I smirked.
How can someone just leave their cat like this?” Joelle turned her blue eyes to mine. There was memory etched in them.
I don’t know.” Bending down, I scratched the tabby behind his ear. He leaned into my touch, his eyes half-closed.
Joelle laughed with pleasure.
I used to have a cat like this.” Her expression grew nostalgic.
What was his name?”
Harry.” Her face flushed with embarrassment. “Awful, I know. But I had a thing for puns. Don’t ask me why.” She rolled her eyes.
I got him when I was seven. He was a stray like this one.” Fondly, Joelle rubbed the cat’s forehead. “My parents told me that he would be happier on a farm with my aunt’s family. But I had always wanted a pet, and there was no way I’d change my mind.”
I kept silent while she continued.
Harry didn’t like our house. He always wanted to be outside, to be free, but I was so afraid that he’d leave if I let him go. He was forever scratching the front door and meowing. One day, I felt so bad for him, that I opened the door. I watched him from the window as he sniffed all around our driveway, then walked off down the street. I didn’t see him for two days, then a neighbor called saying that he had found Harry dead on the road. My parents never rubbed it in my face, but I realized that they had been right. I knew that I couldn’t always keep those I love safe. Over the years, I’ve learned how to give my worries to God and listen to His voice. He knows what’s best for everyone, and even though I can’t keep those around me safe, God can.”
The memory faded, and I realized that God was trying to tell me something. Joelle had always been in God’s hands, and it wasn’t up to me to worry about one of God’s sparrows. I gazed back at the sky, wishing I could go back to that cloudy day. To be with Joelle.
But the sky was blue, and it blurred as I blinked away my unshed tears.

*

Later that afternoon, I received a call from Mr. Evans.
“Can I drop by today?”
“Sure thing.” But why?
“Great. I just want to give you something.”
“Alright. See you soon.”
For the next thirty minutes, I was left to wonder what it was Mr. Evans wanted to give to me.

*

“Joelle’s journal.” Mr. Evans held it out to me. I stared at it, wondering if I actually wanted it.
“Why are you giving it to me?” I was bewildered.
“I think she’d want you to read it. You meant a lot to her.” Mr. Evan’s eyes watered. He blinked rapidly.
“Thank you, sir. Very much.” In the moment I held it, I knew how much it actually meant.
Mr. Evans smiled and turned away. Slowly I closed the door, and walked into the living-room with the leather-bound book in my hand. Sitting on the couch, I opened, then closed it. This is Joelle’s. Should I really read it?
Not bothering to push the loneliness away, I turned to the front.
This journal belongs to: Joelle Teresa Evans

Her familiar handwriting drew me on. I remembered something Joelle had once told me.
I write everything in my journal.” She smiled. “Then God reads it.”
“God,” I looked at the ceiling, taking shaky breaths, “would you read this with me?”
Then blinking hard, I turned to the first entry.

Dear Journal,
I’m not quite sure what to write in here. I’ve never been good at writing in journals, but I suppose if I want to remember everything, I need to write it down. Maybe next time I’ll have something better to write about.
Bye for now,
Joelle

I flipped the page. It was dated a month after the previous entry.
Still nothing to report. Unless you count writing another poem as news-worthy. Either way, here it is:

Dear Jesus, I pray
That with each passing day
I’ll love You more than the last.
And when from this earth
I have gone, and am past,
You’ll work through my short legacy.

I couldn’t finish. Quickly, I turned to her eighteenth year entries. There was one from March that read:
Nathan Hunter. He spilled hot chocolate on me. Though I feel that’s partially my fault. Honestly, I’ve seen him a few times before in the coffee shop, but he didn’t notice me until today. My heart fluttered when he smiled at me. Perhaps it’s the weather. It’s been a chilly March.
More on that later,
Joelle

I smiled as I replayed the incident in my head.
Here’s your hot chocolate, Mr. Hunter.” Charlotte placed it on the counter.
Thanks. Have a great day.”
You too.”
I grasped it, and turned around, only to see a brunette sitting at the table in front of me. Honestly, I think the chair leg jumped out in front of me. I tripped over it, and the take-out cup rolled across the table, dumping its steaming contents into her lap. She yelped and sprang up out of her seat. The brown liquid quickly soaked her faded jeans and the chair she’d been sitting in.
I’m so, so sorry!” I’d never meant those words more than at that moment.
Charlotte raced out from behind the counter with a roll of paper towels, and proceeded to mop up the mess. I could tell she was having a hard time keeping a straight face, but I found nothing funny about it. I’d probably burned the poor girl with my drink.
My eyes met with the stranger’s, only to see mirth dancing in them. Then she chuckled. Charlotte joined her after a moment, handing her a towel.
Thank you.” The brunette laughed, trying in vain to wipe the dark stain off her clothes.
I’m so sorry.” I repeated, unsure why she thought it amusing.
I haven’t moved that fast for awhile.” Her blue eyes shone.
I felt completely helpless. What was I supposed to do? I felt like sinking into the floor.
I’m Nathan.” Hey, dummy! She doesn’t want to know your name. You just dumped hot chocolate on her, for goodness’ sake!
Nice to meet you.” Her eyes were laughing. I was miserable. “I’m Joelle.”
Tearing myself away from her smile, I flipped to the last entry.

I went to a concert with Nathan tonight. I wish we weren’t so awkward. Anyways, I had a fabulous time, and saw that odd lady there. The one who’s been everywhere else I go. I’ve tried to smile at her, but she never meets my eyes. Maybe next time I can say hello.
In Him,
Joelle
P.S. Nathan’s been acting really nervous lately. I wonder if he wants to talk about something.

I closed my eyes as the tears fell. If only I’d had one more day. Who was that woman she talked about? I’ll let the police know later.
Without another thought, I set the journal down on the coffee table, and went to the kitchen to make dinner. 

• AbigailSauble

Yeah, ditto. :)

• Lumisade

Hey, same here! I think sadness (and other such emotions) are the easiest ones for me to articulate, so I mostly write sad stories too.

• AbigailSauble

I'm sorry . . . . I typically write sad stories. Thanks so much for reading, though. It means a lot. :)

• Lumisade

Crying. I'm crying.

Grief gets to me.

This is so good. I love it.