Angelina Nguyen

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
-Benjamin Franklin

Hello, everyone! I hope you enjoy my pieces published on this page! Most of what I write is inspired by real life events, along with people I have the pleasure of meeting. Please favourite, review, leave a comment or share any of my works if you like them because it may not seem like it but it means a great deal to me and will make my day tremendously.

​Pedigrees

PROMPT: Chunyun

16
Ancestry
is tracing every crevice and mark made in my footprints back to find who I am as an embodiment of all those before me. It is from stepping back that I find myself able to move forward, to appreciate what I have made a home.

Nothing
compares to the sensation of returning to the family temple on Lunar New Year, where I feel most connected to the past and to the future. A gong that goes off at every interval and its ringing resonates within me, welcoming the spirits to dine with us. There are fruits, both of the mundane and exotic kinds, placed on plates all around the different altar stations around the interior. It is quite an intricate fusion of flavours that swirl around the room. There are these prayer beads that I rub while we recite mantras, moving across to the next as we count how many times they have been done. I remember the way my grandmother would sit as still as any other monk in the temple, legs folded and crossed like a lotus submerged. She would not stir and when I reach this state where my mind is clear of thought, I can almost hear her smiling.

I
let my knees sink into the cushions when I pray and talk to my grandmother, to my ancestors, and to Buddha himself, his status towering over us.

I
have often been afraid of the way he stared directly back at me but I would wonder if my ancestors felt frightened too, or if they embraced the faith they had in him. In that moment, there is this transcendent experience, as if a mutual exchange has been made between the spirits that circle the air and I- an agreement that everywhere I head for the new year from there and then will be with them.

Every
Lunar New Year is when I feel most connected to my ancestry. It is then that I become one with the spirits and feel the most faith in not only my family history, but also who I am today under the guidance of the greater forces.

2

• What.I.saw.in.the.tea.leaves

Wow!!! I felt as if I were there with you as you describe everything so vividly... such an amazing experience.
    It's such a beautiful glimpse into another culture, and I think you did an amazing job portraying that!!!!

:)

• Gabriel Goodwin

This was beautifully crafted from start to finish!

• Plausible.Poems

You have such a good connection to your ancestors. I really enjoyed reading your story. :)

• BlueGold

This was a beautifully crafted piece, full of emotion and specific details. Amazing work!