Logomakr 1w4pgb

LyraLynne

Was born in a small US town and has always loved reading and writing. Was inspired by JK Rowling to start writing. Was diagnosed with cancer in 2012 and went through chemotherapy in 2015. All is good now. Loves fall and winter and their holidays.

I follow everyone, no matter what. If you show up on my dashboard or in my notifications, I'll follow you and check out your profile if I haven't already. :)

Quotes to remember:
“The sky’s only the limit if you don’t believe you can make it to the stars.” -Me

"Everyone is an independent snowflake so get over it." -Me

"Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny." -C.S. Lewis

My writing blog is lyralynnewriting.weebly.com if you want to go check that out. :)

The Monster in Me

Spelling Bees are a nightmare. Standing up in front of people to show how “smart” you are, and if you get something wrong, you’re a laughing stock. I hate it. Introverts don’t do “public speaking.”
    “Pandora, your word is: fat.”
    “Look, he’s talking about you.”
    “Fat. F-A-T fat.”
    “That’s correct.” As I made my way back to my seat, I could see a flicker of movement. No, I thought desperately, This is the worst thing that could happen to me right now. Suddenly, standing in front of me was Phobos, a short, red demon.
    Please, go away.
    “No can do. You rang, I came.”  I tried really hard to pay attention to the competition but he kept talking in my head, distracting me. The thing about monsters is that they can only be seen by other monsters. Like me.
Round three of the competition is where I always get the most nervous. Phobos’s pestering increased with my anxiety. When it was my turn to go up, I stood and froze.
    “Whatcha gonna do?” Phobos teased. I could feel the flood coming, but couldn’t hold it back. I tore off the stage and straight to the bathroom. As soon as I got there, I threw up in a toilet and laid, shaking. Phobos’s teases had rattled me. You’re a failure, a monster. Just die already. You suck. Nobody likes you. Just go and-
    Suddenly everything froze. I turned and saw someone in the doorway. There was a radiance about her as she smiled softly, and held out her hand. With the tear flow decreasing, I grasped it. I didn’t know who she was but I could sense that she would be there for me, combatting the monsters. For even with all the evils in Pandora’s box, there’s always hope.
I'm still working on writing with word limits.

• LyraLynne

Oh my gosh thank you so much! That means a lot to me. :)

• camlily

If this doesn't win, I don't know what will. It's so creative and realistic with a touch of supernatural. The end was also a really great way to sum up the story :)