Riley Noel

Senior Peer Reviewer
Former Write the World young writer, now mentoring other WtW young writers through peer reviews!
I am so excited to help other young writers better their craft!!

I love winter! But, with all the climate change and disasters we are having I fear there will come a day when children o longer celebrate the winter.

A Farewell To Winter

PROMPT: Solastalgia

1
I used to love the winter. I don't really know what it was exactly that I loved so much. Maybe it was the beauty and the perfection of a field covered in snow. Maybe it was the joy of those first few snowflakes. MAybe it was warm nights by the fire, with pjs and hot chocolate. Maybe it was the laughter that seemed to echo off every hill and mountain as children and adults raced in sleds. I think it was all of the above. But, I have not enjoyed a winter in a very long time. Now instead of a joyous first snow we get rain. Instead of peaceful sleeping fields we get muddy swamps. Instead of laughter echoing off the hills all you hear is the screams of desperate towns as mud slides come hurtling down. When it finnaly does get cold, its too cold. The cold that you can feel in your bones, the one that makes your skin turn blue, and makes going outside impossable. It has been a long time since I last enjoyed th ewinter. I don't know if I ever will again. But, maybe one day it will change and people will see the error of their ways. Then, just maybe, I will hear children's laughter at the first snowflake.

• Riley Noel

Thank you so much! I am glad you liked it!

• camlily

This is so true and I hate it.
    (I'm sorry that sounds weird- I hate the fact that it's true, not the piece itself)
    You did a great job describing the changes that our world is going through, even though it is a terrible thing.