Binary code icon 2

Glytch Montoya

I've been writing short stories and poems independently for a while now. In fact, whenever I get the chance, I work on my short stories, for which I use the word "short" VERY loosely. I'm looking forward to seeing your opinions!

Part 6 is up!!!

Chaos Pacificae (6)

4
[WARNING!: This, as you may have been able to figure out, is the sixth installment of this story. If you, for some unknown reason (or known reason), have not read the previous five installments, I have one question: Why did you even click this link? I would highly recommend that you read the first five installments before you read this one, but AFTER you finish reading this warning, since you're already this far into the warning.] 

Pax and Keira walked through the village, heading towards Padre La Paz's home. As they walked, Keira noticed something about the way Pax was walking. He had a certain air of confidence about him, and he had a big smile on his face. In his element, he had nothing to fear, so he didn't have a care in the world. That was reflected by the way he walked. Shoulders back, arms swinging loosely, humming a little as he walked. 
    Right then, Pax felt eyes on him, so he looked at Keira. Keira quickly looked away, acting like she wasn't looking at him. Pax bought it. 
    After a little while, some children ran by, playing tag. A couple of them ran right into Pax and Keira, and those two fell flat on their rears. 
    "Whoa, careful, guys," Pax said with a little chuckle, kneeling down and extending his hands to help them up. "You wouldn't wanna run into a wall or something." 
    Pax helped the kids up, then gave them both a playful pat on the head, messing up their hair a little bit. 
    "Thank you, Pax," the kids said at the same time. 
    "You're welcome. Now, you might wanna keep going. Your friends might get away." 
    The kids then ran off to catch up with their friends. 
    "Ah, kids," said Pax as he stood up. "Always gotta run everywhere, even when they have nowhere to be. Well, we should probably keep going." 
    They kept walking. 
    Hmm, Keira thought to herself, He's good with kids... 
    They then walked by somebody who was painting a picture. They had painted a landscape of the rolling hills of Candara Prime, and they were looking at the picture with a look of deep thought. Pax, of course, walked up to the artist. 
    "Oh, hey, Pax," the artist said as she saw Pax walk up to her. 
    "Hey, Lana. Wow, this is a really good painting. One of your best." 
    "Thanks, but... I dunno, I just feel like it's missing something..." 
    "Hmm, let's see..." 
    Pax looked closer at the canvas, observing every detail. After a few moments, he moved back a little, getting a different angle. 
    "...People," Pax said finally. "It needs people. Also, a few chickits go a long way. They're white furry plumage is a great accent to the green grassy hills." 
    "Of course!" Lana said with delight. "I can't believe I didn't think of that! I'll start on that once this layer of paint dries. Thanks, Pax!" 
    "No problem, Lana," said Pax. "See ya later." 
    "See ya!" 
    With that, Pax kept walking, with Keira walking with him. 
    He's got an eye for art... That was a pretty good painting... 
    Then, they walked by a cart that was selling flowers. There were lots of different kinds of flowers on the stand, including some red roses, tulips, and daisies. They had barely walked past the cart when Pax stopped, walked back to the cart, and smelled the roses. 
    "Did you just literally stop to smell the roses?" Keira asked. 
    "Yup. These are the fragrant kind. You can tell just by looking at them. The darker red ones with more petals are the best ones." 
    He then reached to grab one, then stopped, looking at the person attending to the cart. 
    "May I?" Pax asked. 
    "Of course, Pax," the flower person said. 
    Pax then removed one of the roses, and he held it towards Keira. 
    "Go ahead. Smell it." 
    Keira was a bit hesitant, because she thought this was kind of weird, but she took the flower and smelled it. It was actually pretty good. Pax then grabbed a lighter one and smelled it. 
    "Ah, this one has a fruity scent! Very common for the lighter-petaled roses. Try it!" 
    He gave the rose to Keira, and she smelled it. 
    Wow, it DOES smell fruity, Keira thought to herself. 
    "Hey, Pax," said the flower person, "I've got a special treat for you today." 
    She then reached behind her and retrieved a pot of calendula flowers. As soon as Pax saw them, his eyes lit up, and he gasped in delight. 
    "CALENDULAS?!" Pax exclaimed, full of delight. 
    "Yup. Fresh from the fields. They bloomed during the meteor shower. Go ahead, take the whole pot. No charge." 
    "Really? Thanks!" 
    "No problem, Pax. You and the La Paz's are my best customers! It's the least I could do. Oh, and, uh, you can keep the roses, Miss..." 
    "Keira," said Keira, "and I'll just take the lighter one." 
    She put the darker one back, and Pax took the pot of calendula flowers. 
    "Have a lovely day!" said the flower person. 
    "You, too!" said Pax. 
    With that, they kept walking. 
    "You sure seem to like those flowers," said Keira. 
    "Yup. Calendulas are my favorite. A lot of people don't like how they smell, but I love it, ESPECIALLY the ones that bloom during meteor showers. Those always smell different, kinda like..." 
    Pax took a big sniff of the calendula flowers. 
    "...Cinnamon. Cinnamon and tree sap." 
    Keira smelled the calendula flowers. 
    Huh, that's a weird combination of scents, but, oddly enough, it works. 
    "Oh, here we are!" said Pax. "Welcome to 'Casa de La Paz'." 
    There weren't any lights on in the house, but there was a note on the door. It said: 

I'm at the garden if anyone needs me. 
                                    ~Padre Generoso La Paz 

"Oh, he must be feeling stressed," said Pax. "He always goes to the garden when he's stressed. Or at 4:30. Since it's not 4:30, he must be stressed about something. Let's go!" 
    So, they started walking to the garden, with Pax humming a little tune
    Keira noticed him humming. The song sounded... Familiar. 
    "Hey, where did you hear that song?" Keira asked. 
    "Oh, uh... I, uh, I dunno. Why?" 
    "Oh, nothing, it just... It seems, uh, familiar, somehow." 
    "Huh. Weird." 
    They kept walking, and Pax kept humming. Then, after a little while, Keira started humming with him. They made quite the duet together. 

To be continued... 
Part 6!!! This time, I've incorporated a little bit of music! Let me know what you think! 

• February 4, 2018 - 12:01am (Now Viewing)