Mr. Colin E.

Hey everybody, I'm now a Senior Peer Reviewer for Write The World.com. Former Write The World young writer, now mentoring other WTW young writers through peer reviewers! Wish me luck and hoping you make wonderful pieces!

Please tell me what you think of this, I worked very hard on it and need peer reviews.

Greek Myths Retold 1. Hephaestus and Aphrodite:

1
Once upon a time, in ancient Greece, the Olympian Gods were getting concerned about a particular god. This god was Hephaestus, the god of fire and forge, the son of Zeus and Hera. While not the most handsome of gods, Hephaestus was kind and caring. He was a true craftsmen who made works of art no man or god could compare to. However, Hephaestus had grown lonely due to a lack of companionship. To forget his woes, he threw himself into his work and often stayed at his forge for days on end. The other gods were very worried about him, even Hera. They couldn't bear to see him so alone, so they decided to do something about it. Recently, the Olympian Gods had received a new arrival on Olympus, Aphrodite,the goddess of love and beauty. Aphrodite was beautiful goddess with golden blonde hair, soft blue eyes, and an appeal nobody could resist. She'd been, rather unintentionally, causing some problems on Olympus because the other gods were fighting over who should marry her. Poor Aphrodite was stuck in the middle of this conflict and had no idea what to do about it. Finally, Zeus decided that since Hephaestus desired companionship and Aphrodite needed a sensible husband, he decided the two of them should be married. When Hephaestus heard this, he was apprehensive because he thought he was undeserving of such a beautiful goddess. But, Zeus said that he was the perfect choice, for Hephaestus was kind,level headed, brilliant, and not arrogant as the other gods were. As for Aphrodite, the other gods expected her to be repulsed by Hephaestus, but her reaction was the opposite. Aphrodite was rather attracted to Hephaestus and thought he was a wonderful person. She loved his thunderous laugh, his brilliant mind, his powerful strength, his kind heart, his talent for crafting, and best of all, the way he started blushing adorably whenever she was around him. They were married a few days later, the wedding was one of the most beautiful weddings in the history of the planet. Aphrodite was dressed in a flowing white gown with a glittering golden tiara. Hephaestus was dressed in an elegant crimson robe that seemed to flicker like fire. Their wedding rings were crafted by Hephaestus himself, Aphrodite's was silver with a sapphire and Hephaestus's was gold with a topaz. The wedding party went all night, the bride and groom couldn't have been happier. After the wedding, they lived a happy life, it seemed nothing could go wrong... well, almost nothing. Two years after their marriage, Hephaestus began to get more and more wrapped up in his work. He would be at his forge for hours at a time, coming home late at night. Aphrodite, patient as she could be, tried to tolerate this, but she couldn't. She spent all day at home waiting in frustration and heart ache for her husband to arrive home, it really made her steamed. Whenever she got upset, Hephaestus made her jewelry to wear, which pacified Aphrodite for a time, but was never enough. While Aphrodite liked the jewelry Hephaestus made her, she felt like this was his way of turning a blind eye to how she felt. She wanted him to be home with her, to spend time with her, to hold her, that was all she wanted. She tried several times to go to his forge and talk to him about it, but they didn't even have a real conversation. Hephaestus was absentmindedly working and would say things such as 

" Yes, yes, yes, mhmm, mhmm, That's nice dear, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, oh wow, interesting, uh huh, okay, fascinating, alright, and love you dear."

That was all Aphrodite got from him and it was so aggravating. There were times when Hephaestus would come home late when Aphrodite had planned romantic dates for them and one of them really made her mad. One day, Aphrodite had planned a romantic evening alone for her and Hephaestus. She was going to surprise him, but made Hephaestus promise to be home by 6:00. She spent the whole day cooking, setting the table, getting her hair done, and dressing up nice just for him. Unfortunately, Hephaestus broke his promise and arrived home at 8:00. Aphrodite wasn't pleased at all by this, not one bit. Hephaestus came home and was stunned to see Aphrodite in a lovely red dress, her hair done in a gorgeous braid. Her neck was draped in jewelry that he made for her.

" Wow, Aphrodite, you look beautiful. What's the occasion? Are you going to a party or have you just gotten back from the party? Is it our anniversary? If it is, I'm sorry I forgot." Hephaestus said, ignorant to what was going on.

Aphrodite just stood there, angrily gaping at him. She had spent the whole day, preparing an evening for just the two of them and he arrived late, ignorant to her efforts. Furiously, Aphrodite blasted the dinner table to pieces, marched her room, and slammed the door shut, locking it behind her.

" Was it something I said?" Hephaestus said confused.

Aphrodite spent the rest of the night crying her eyes out, she was so anguished. How could her husband leave at home like that?! All she ever wanted was for him to spend time with her! Was that so much to ask?! She began to doubt she loved him at all, like she was nothing but an object to him. As a result, Aphrodite didn't speak to Hephaestus for six weeks because she was so upset with him. Eventually, she told Ares, the god of war and one of her closest friends, about her problems with her husband. Ares sympathized with her, he thought it was atrocious how Hephaestus was ignorantly treating his wife like that and that he should treat her better.

" What am I going to do, Ares?" Aphrodite said as she sobbed into his shoulder " I want Hephaestus to be with me, but he's too wrapped up in his work to notice."

Ares took a moment to think and then a thought popped into his head.

" What if we..." Ares started to say " no, no,no! That's ridiculous, it would never work!"

" What wouldn't work?" Aphrodite said curiously.

Ares let out a deep sigh and said " What if we pretended to be in love and kissed each other. Hephaestus would be so angry, he'd have to leave his forge and do something about it. But, I don't want to make Hephaestus think I'm some guy who would steal his wife away from him. I may be the god of war, but I'm not a home wrecker!"

Aphrodite's eyes lit up and she gasped in delight.

" It's not a bad idea, in fact it's a great idea!" She said excitedly " Hephaestus wouldn't be able to stand the fact of another man trying to steal me away! It's perfect!"

" Aphrodite, I don't know if..." Ares said apprehensively.

" Don't worry about it, it'll be fine." Aphrodite said clasping his shoulder.

Ares sighed once more, " Oh gods, I know I'm going to regret this. Alright, let's do it." He said, agreeing to go along with the plan.

" Great!" Aphrodite said rubbing her hands together " Now, let's get planning."

Ares and Aphrodite spent the day working on the plan and this is how it went. The plan was for them to kiss in the woods. Nest, Helios, the sun god, would Hephaestus that they were kissing, which would infuriate Hephaestus enough to leave his forge and confront them. Once he arrived, Aphrodite and Ares would kiss right in front of him, causing Hephaestus to tear Ares of her. Hephaestus would proceed to beat up Ares and then, Aphrodite would get his attention and tell him how she really felt. Hephaestus would realize his mistake and give Aphrodite the attention she needed. The plan was foolproof, it was bound not to fail. It took a couple days to prepare, but it was worth it in the end because the plan was ready. On the day the plan was put into action, Hephaestus received a call from Helios of troubling news. So, he went to Helios's sun palace to find out what it was.

" You said you had some bad news, Helios?" Hephaestus asked.

Helios nodded, " Yes, I'm sorry to tell you this, but I can't lie to you because that make me feel awful. I was flying in my sun chariot and happened to spy Ares and Aphrodite kissing!"

" What?!" Hephaestus said in disbelief and shock.

" It's true!" Helios said, cleverly pretending to be upset, " I saw them kissing each other madly, it was horrible. Not only that, Aphrodite said that she thinks Ares is better than you are!"

Hephaestus was fuming with rage, how dare his wife cheat on him with that hot tempered, cruel, sword swinging war god.

" OHHHH!!! I AM GOING TO TEACH ARES A LESSON HE'LL NEVER FORGET!!! NOBODY STEALS MY WIFE AWAY FROM ME AND GET'S AWAY WITH IT!!!" HE said as his chocolate brown hair burst into flames.

" That's right! How dare he?!" Helios shouted in agreement.

Hephaestus rushed back to his forge and got to work. He forged a golden net to trap the two lovers in, where he would keep them to show the other gods of their heinous crime. As he worked, he just couldn't believe it. Aphrodite, the goddess he loved so much, the woman who smacked Hera in the face for throwing him off Mount Olympus, the woman who was his wife, had cheated on him. Why had she done this to him? Was he not good enough for her? Was he so ugly she decided to be with someone who was handsomer than him? The moment he finished the net, he stormed out of his forge and headed out to find Ares and Aphrodite. Meanwhile, Ares and Aphrodite were making a last minute go over of the plan.

" Okay, let's go over the plan one last time." Ares said " First, Hephaestus will arrive and see us kissing. Then, he'll tear me off you, proceeding to beat me up."

" Then," Aphrodite said " I'll get his attention and tell him how I really feel, explaining how I want him to spend time with me, to not be at his forge all day."

Suddenly, Ares raised his hand for silence and began listening very sharply.

" He's coming, I can hear the sound of his metal leg braces clinking and clanking! Get ready!" Ares said softly.

" Okay." Aphrodite said with a nod.

Hephaestus made his way into the clearing to where Ares and Aphrodite were. He gaped in horror the moment he saw them kissing. Now, Ares and Aphrodite expected him to do exactly what they thought he'd do, but he didn't. Instead, he hurled the golden net he'd made right over them, much to their horror, and trapped them it. They tried to get free, but the net was too strong.

" Oh no, this wasn't part of the plan!" Ares panicked " What are we going to do now?!"

" I don't know, but I am not liking where this is going!" Aphrodite said worriedly.

" Try explaining our plan to him, maybe he'll let us go!" Ares said trying to improvise.

" What?! But,it's not part of the..." Aphrodite said beginning to get frantic.

" Just try! It's the only thing I can think of now!" Ares said throwing up his hands.

" Alright fine, I'll do it." Aphrodite sighed.

She turned to Hephaestus and said " Hephaestus, wait! It's not what you think! Ares and I were planning to..."

Aphrodite was cut off by a fiery glare from Hephaestus that snapped her into silence. He then went off to Olympus and got the other gods to show them Ares and Aphrodite's supposed " crime". The gods normally would have been angry, but they instead found the situation hilarious. They laughed raucously at the two gods trapped in the net. Hephaestus was not pleased with the results, but it was still punishment enough. Hermes and Apollo mercilessly mocked the two of them, with Hera goading them on.

" Hahaha, trapped like rats! This is hysterical!" Hermes said as he rolled on the ground laughing with Apollo.

" Oh gods, I know I should be angry at them for what they've done... but it's too funny! AHAHAHAHA!" Hera said as she howled with laughter.

" I've been waiting for something like this to happen for years! Take that Ares!" Athena giggled from the crowd.

Aphrodite had never felt more humiliated in her entire life. She fruitlessly tried to shrink down to the size of a pea or something possibly smaller than that. Ares on the other hand, stood trapped in the net with his bravest face. But, he was inwardly angry and was trying not to let it show. Eventually, the laughter died down and Zeus decided that the two of them had learned their lesson. So, Hephaestus let Aphrodite and Ares out of the net. But, what happened next was awful. Aphrodite looked at Hephaestus with total sadness. He made her heart shatter into a million pieces and she was determined to let him know it. She honestly wanted to scream at him for all the anguish he'd caused her, but all she could do was slap in him the face and run away crying. The slap stung Hephaestus pretty bad, he stood there stunned for a moment. But, he was snapped back to reality when Ares roundhouse kicked him in the jaw.

" HEPHAESTUS, YOU THICK SKULLED IDIOT!!!!" Ares shouted at the top of his lungs.

" Ares, what in the name of Gaea was that for?!" Hephaestus said in shock " I was just trying to teach you a lesson!"

Ares screamed in agravation, " You blithering fool, Aphrodite wasn't actually cheating on you!!" 

What Ares had said received a gasp of shock from the other gods, as well as a look of disbelief from Hephaestus.

" Wait, what?" Hephaestus said completely confused.

Ares rolled his eyes and faced palmed himself.

" Yes, Aphrodite didn't cheat on you and I didn't steal here away! I'm not a home wrecker! This was all a plan to get your attention!" the war god bellowed.

" My attention? What for?" Hephaestus asked ignorantly.

" Allow me to enlighten you, brother." Ares said with venom in his voice " You see, Aphrodite and I were talking one day and she told me that you've been spending more time at your forge than you do with her. She was going on about how you were spending hours at your forge, coming home late at night. Aphrodite barely gets any attention from you and she doesn't even have a real conversation with you when she talks with you at your forge! You just absentmindedly gave her hollow words, not even looking at her!"

Hephaestus began to feel very guilty about his actions. Was he really hurting his wife so badly.

" I've neglected her?" Hephaestus said remorsefully.

" Yes, you have and you haven't heard the half of it!" Ares said angrily. " She told me that you've been making her jewelry every time she gets upset with you. She thinks this is some way of you turning a blind eye to her feelings!"

" She thinks that?!" Hephaestus said in shock " I thought she loved the jewelry I made for her?!"

" She does, but she doesn't want jewelry! She wants you! Do you have any idea how much pain you've caused her because of your ignorance?!"

Hephaestus now felt very guilty about what he'd done to his wife, he'd hurt her so much, but was so blind to have seen it. The other gods felt guilty as well, they knew now it was wrong for them to have laughed at Aphrodite when she'd been through all that suffering. They could have helped her, but they got so wrapped up in their divine duties and lives, that they failed to notice her pain.

" Is there anything I can do to make this better." Hephaestus asked Ares sadly.

Ares grabbed his brother by the shirt and his blood red eyes bore into his brother's.

"If you really want to make this better, I suggest that you... fix. it. now." Ares said empathizing each word.

Hephaestus nodded and went off to go find Aphrodite. He found her sitting by a lake, crying softly. Her face was buried in her
hands as she wept on the shore.

" Go away, Hephaestus. Please...just go away." Aphrodite said the moment she sensed his presence.

Hephaestus sighed, " Aphrodite, I'm sorry. Ares told me everything and words can't describe how guilty I feel. I never meant to hurt you." He said sincerely.

" I know." Aphrodite sniffed. " But, it would have been nice if you'd been there for me."

Hephaestus sat right down beside her on the shore and took a deep breath.

" Aphrodite, I know now that I get wrapped up in my work and that the jewelry I've been making for you hasn't been enough. I want you to know that you're the most perfect woman I've ever met, I love you so much. I'm going to try to be a better husband, I'll spend as much time with you as I can. I swear it on the River Styx and on the love of Thetis, my foster mother who took me in when I was cast out of Olympus. That's the honest truth."

Aphrodite removed her hands from her face and looked at Hephaestus right in his amber eyes. 

" Do you really mean it?" She asked hopefully.

Hephaestus nodded, " I do mean it, I promise." he said.

" Oh Hephaestus!" Aphrodite said as she kissed him right on the lips.

Hephaestus felt a jolt of happiness spread throughout his body, he then melted into the kiss and embraced his wife.

After that, Hephaestus and Aphrodite's marriage improved. Hephaestus, true to his word, made sure he didn't get wrapped in his work. He came home as soon as he could, where his lovely wife would greet him with a kiss on the cheek. Eventually, they had a child, a winged god named Eros. He was as cute little thing, he had his mother's blond hair and his father's amber eyes. He was very mischievous, but he was as kind as most gods went. He later became the god of love and his father crafted him a golden bow with arrows that could make people fall in love and lead arrows that could turn love away. Best of all, Hephaestus and Aphrodite were as happy as they could be, in love forever. And that's the true myth of Hephaestus and Aphrodite.

Here's chapter one of my story, hope you enjoy it.

• Mr. Colin E.

I am aware that Aphrodite is older than Zeus and to be clear as possible, the beginning of the story takes place after Aphrodite comes from the sea and goes to mount Olympus. Sorry to have confused you and thank you for your kind words.

• CreativeAngel

Also just so you know, based off Percy Jackson books Aphrodite is the oldest out of all the Greek gods including Zeus. Not trying to say anything rude but just so you know for future references. If you purposely did that or wish to keep Aphrodite as in your story or if i misread the story, you could tell me in the comments. Otherwise the story is better than anything i could ever write. <3

• s a m

noice

• CreativeAngel

Amazing! One thing is to use facts and resources and brains to create stories. The skill comes in when you try to create the story so people will read it entertainingly. You did wonderful
    Keep writing! <3