iss_y

​Olympic Equality

The struggle towards equality in the Olympic Games has been a long and drawn-out process. Although we have come a significant way from the first modern Olympic games in 1896, where only white, male athletes could participate, we have found ourselves in a position where equality is promised, but not entirely delivered. Whether through funding disparities between Olympic and Paralympic sports or the treatment of women and non-gender conforming athletes, it’s clear that we are still several steps away from creating an event that is equal and accessible for all. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has been public in its efforts to reduce inequality within the games, creating mixed-gender events and allowing transgender people to compete under the gender with which they identify, and these are all hugely important steps. However, I believe the next push for equality comes from a change to representation within the IOC, National Olympic Committee (NOC) and International Federations (IF). The executive board of the IOC has only 26.7% female members and compared to 73.3% male members, showing more female representation than both the NOC and IF. Although equality and representation within the athletic community is vital to push towards total social, political and economic equality within the games, tackling this problem within the Olympic committees allows the problem to be faced at the root. The members of these groups are the ones involved in the rule and policy making process of the games. To symbolise equality between everyone involved in both the Olympic and Paralympic games, we must also have representation and equality between those running them.

• February 2, 2018 - 8:21am (Now Viewing)