AcetheticallyPleasing

Asexual || Dreamer || Hufflepuff
Single, but not ready to mingle.
Songs || Stories || Poems
In love with someone who can never be mine.
I hope I can be myself here.

I'm kind of scared, but I want to know your guys' thoughts on this. Where do you stand? Do you agree with me or disagree? If you were offended, tell me how. I'll try to make amends for my words' offense.

Feminism

9
Okay, so I'm being pretty risky putting this on here, but I've made plenty of mistakes so there's nothing surprising if this backfires on me.

I've got something to say, not to be rude, not to be profound, not to be inspirational, just to say it.

I'm a female, yes.

But I'm not a feminist. Cue hate comments!

"Ace, what the heck? If you're a woman you're either a feminist or you're against your own kind!"
"Ace, you're getting pretty offensive."
"Ace, do you support discrimination against women?"
"Ace! You'd rather have boys tell you how to be and what to do?"

No. No. No.

I'm not against women and I'm not a feminist. I'm just me. 
My best friends are feminists and we all love each other just fine. 
I just... how do I put this? I just don't care.
That's going to sound really bad, but let me explain.

People are going to tell me who to be and what to do and how to act and what to think, no matter who they are- boy or girl. So I don't really care if a guy thinks he's better than me because he's a guy. That's his thing. I don't think I'm better than anyone, and despite all the self-deprecating comments I make, I don't think anyone is better than me. 

Really, I mainly say this because I grew up in a family who made me think feminists want to be better than men, not have equal rights. I want equal rights. 

"Uh, yeah, that's what we want, too."

Okay, yeah, you say that, but then you still expect guys to open doors for you and wrap their jacket over your shoulders when you're cold. Have you ever done that for a man? Have you ever fought against another woman because she discriminated against a man for being a man? Have you ever offered to foot the bill without your man asking you to?

Now if you have, kudos to you. You're a real feminist. You want true equal rights. If you haven't, if you only expect men to do this for you, then you're what I call a "media feminist." You're the reason feminists get a bad name, a bad reputation.

So let me rephrase.

I'm a female.

I'm a feminist.

But I'm not a media feminist. 

I'm not afraid to open a door for a guy because it makes me look "inferior."

I'm not afraid to hit a girl because she said something sexist toward a guy.

I just want true equality. Hopefully you do, too.

Before you throw hate comments at me and flag me, at least just think about what I'm trying to say.

Ladies, you're beautiful and worth just as much as anyone, and you can do anything a guy can do.

Boys, you look great today :) Keep on keeping on. 

• fatpanda

I think that this is really what feminism is all about! This is what I believe in.

• Ellie!

I have friends who dislike feminism because of media feminists...and I just can't stand that, because it gives feminists like me a bad rap even though we don't believe that stuff
    Thanks for posting. You did a great job with this!

• JediKnightGirl

That is exactly what feminism is and the way you phrased all of that was perfect. Glad I read this all the way to the end.

• novelistinthedark

I wanted to fight you, And now I want to fight with you. Great job!

• LackingASocialLife

Glad to see we're on the same page! My school makes us say speeches at the assemblies and I'm sooooo tempted to volunteer and then read this. There's some rlly sexist guys at my school who should hear it. Alas, I am terrified of public speaking and this is your work. So I shouldn't use it.
    LOVE how you wrote this by the way! The intro was a great hook too.

• Kahasai

*rings

• Kahasai

I am with you all the way about this, Ace. Every sentence you spoke ring true with me.

• Kaitlyn ❄

Well that's what feminism is. It's the want of equal rights of being who you are of thinking that everyone is equal. Feminists totally get a bad rap, I agree. I hope you don't get any hate comments. I don't like people who say that men are superior to women. I think that you might be a truer feminist than some, at least according to the dictionary definition.

• Aussie23

I appreciate this, definitely glad I read all the way through though!