Pier

Linnaea

Teenager in the US. Love books and words. Comfy jeans and big t-shirts are amazing. Juggler, unicycler, skier. Lazy as heck.

This was badly planned brain vomit. Please excuse any grammatical errors and/or any incomplete ideas. Any feedback is welcome. Thanks for reading!

My Version of Freedom

0
Am I free?

Sure, I am free to choose what I want to wear, whether to eat a bagle or some cereal for breakfast. I am free to choose to bring an umbrella when it is raining, to choose my profession. I am free to read literature that I enjoy, to go to sleep early, to buy a new pair of socks. I am free to do many, many things. 

Am I free?

Yes. I am free. 

How free?

True, I am free to choose what to wear. 
But, I am not free to wear whatever I want. My society has decided what is decent, what is not. School has decided on a dress code, a uniform. Work must show a united front, be it buisness casual or black pants and white shirts. There are expectations of clothing when you go to certain places. Weddings demand formal clothing, hanging around with friends requires casual clothing. Boys must not wear skirts and dresses, girls must not wear things that aren't form-fitting. 
I guess I am not very free. 

True, I am free to choose to eat a bagle or eat cereal.
But, those things are what my society has determined to be breakfast foods. If I were to eat something not considered to be 'breakfast food' I must be lazy, unhealthy, poor. What are you doing eating a turkey sandwich for breakfast? Aren't you worried about getting fat? Push that on to the rest of my meals. Pancakes are frowned upon for lunch, cereal can't be eaten for dinner. No steak and potatoes for breakfast, dear. 
I guess I am not very free. 

True, I am free to bring an umbrella when it's raining. 
But, I am not allowed to leave it open when I enter a building. My society has told me that it is impolite. You should shake it off outside and then close it before entering a building. If that isn't possible, close it at the first opportunity possible. Never mind that it will never dry all wrapped up neat and pretty like that. Never mind that it becomes gross and damp when I set it down next to me. Nevermind when it ruins the papers I was supposed to turn in, now speckled with water, the ink dripping down the page in black tears. 
I guess I am not very free. 

True, I am free to choose my profession. 
But, I am forced into an obligation instilled in me to be the best that I can. To reach the farthest star, to find the unknown cure. I might wish to be a psychologist, but there is already a surpluss of those. I might wish to be a singer, a pop star. Watch out though, those jobs are filled with uncertainty, with no job security. I might wish to be a librarian, but I wouldn't be able to make enought to live off of. 
I guess I am not very free. 

True, I am free to read the literature that I want to.
But, I am not allowed to read everything that I want. My society has deemed some things to mature for me to read. Too much blood, to much gore. To many scary things out there in the big bad world for a lowely teenager to know. To many grisly truths about my perfect society. Can't taint this young soul too soon, you know. Or, we can talk about genres. Do you like manga? Oh, you must like skimpy clothing or dumb superpowers. Do you like romance? Oh, you must dream of your other half coming and sweeping you off your feet, whisking you off into the sunset. 
I guess I am not very free. 

True, I am free to go to bed early. 
But, I am a slave to the clock. My society has decided what 'early' is. Is it around 17:00? Is it around 16:00? Is 'late' then considered 23:00? Is it 2:00 the next morning? All of those have different connotations with them. You must be tired if you are going to bed early. You must have a gaming addiction if you are going to bed late. You must be a baby if you are going to bed early. You must be a procrastinator if you are going to bed that late. 
I guess I am not very free. 

True, I am free to buy new socks. 
But, that must mean that I need new socks. My society has already formed opinions on buying new clothes. You must need socks. You like shopping. You lost a pair. You want to show off your ankles in the new boots you just bought. You have to be on top of the newest fashions. 
I guess I am not very free. 

How free?

I am not very free. I just want to wear comfortable jeans, ones that allow me to move freely, to eat rich soups for breakfast because it is cold out and I'm hungry. I just want to be able to dry my umbrella so it doesn't stay damp in my bag and be able to be a librarian so I can be surrounded by the books I love. I just want to read romance because it's cute, to go to bed early so I can be up to watch the sunrise, to buy a new pair of socks because they are fuzzy and warm on a cold day. 

I am not saying that I can't do all of these things. 

I am saying that I am bound by what others think, by what my society has decided is normal. I am bound in chains of my own making. No one want's to be alienated, to be friendless. Every soul yearns for another to share the journey of life together, be it the best of friends, or the other half of my existance. I assimilate into the picture that my society paints.

Are you free?

Are you free? Are you truely, honestly free? To do what you want, wear what you want, BE who you WANT to be?

Or are you like me? Wandering in a land of webbed chains and rules made up by your society? 

1