Coffee

Sasha K. Lotnikee

Hello! I've moved to writetheworld.com/profiles/1668. Please check out and critique my writing there! :)

Home Sweet Home

PROMPT: Wild Places

2

I've only been there once so far in my life. But I consider it one of the most beautiful places on Earth, ever. It took a number of hours to drive up there. But it was worth it. I could already feel the freshness of the wild in Maine as my family drove around the winding paths at Acadia National Park. The lush, scenic forests graced the roads, casting willowy shadows around the patch of land. Even inside my car, I could smell the park-- wet moss, dry bark, pungent dirt, and the overall sense of beauty and wonder. I simply could not take my eyes off it. Throughout the week, I witnessed the beauty of nature, so awe-inspiring there aren't enough words to describe. But there were two places which nature had taken my heart away with. Our first stop was Sand Beach. It was absolutely breath-taking at first sight. It was early morning, so the brilliant scarlet rays of the sun were just peeking over the mountains, casting a radiant light on the soft, calm waters of the sea. Some patches were caught in a dreamy indigo color, others in bright violet, some aquamarine, and some even orange. It juxtaposed perfectly with the soaring mountains behind-the-scenes, quite uncommon in beaches. I reached down to feel the dry, golden sand. It was an uneven mix of soft and rough as it fell through my hand, tingling the gaps between my fingers. Suddenly, some spirit overtook me. I was filled with excitement as a threw off my shoes and socks, rolled up my pants, and dashed quickly to the wet, packed sand. It was a different world there. The sand was now a tan-brown, and as I try to pick up a glop, it oozed through my fingers. I tripped on some lovely, shining, leaf green seaweed. It smelled heavily of salt, and it felt smooth and silky as I caressed it. As I look ahead, the gentle yet roaring tide comes in milk-white foam, sometimes curving into a huge waves, other times just simply lapping the shore. I walked along the shores, picking up pretty seashells with unique patterns printed on them. I put the swirled ones in my pocket, and got my feet wet. The water was freezing and refreshingly cold. From the distance, we probably looked like ice cubes bobbing up and down in the sea. But, as it always does, things come into the end. We had to leave and continue on our trip around the park for the day. I looked at my wet feet; minute brown shards of rock and sand was glued to my feet, and my hair was dishevelled. At the side of the shore, I spied a tiny trickling stream between rock gaps, leading to the ocean. As I came closer, it seemed to look like liquid amber. It was a queer shade of bronze and red and orange and yellow. Beautiful, but strange. Nevertheless, I stuck my feet in it, testing the temperature. Inviting and warm... It was like a warm foot bath, and the slippery cold sand slid off easily, returning to its place in the ocean. Later in the week, after a heart-soaring bike ride, we decided to take a little detour to the Cadillac Mountains. Little did I know such a cold place high in the sky would become one of my all-time favorite places. The first thing I noticed about the Cadillac Mountains was it was cold. Nail-biting, freezing, knee-knocking cold. I shuddered as I clung to my thin jacket as we walked up. It seemed as if everyone else was shivering too, except for the tour guide (who, surprisingly, came from Tennessee, Land of the Hot) , who cheerfully lead us up to the mountain. It was summer, by the way. But it was in Maine. What did I expect? I started complaining, but as soon as we were at an higher up, the view took my words away. The vista was magnificent and glorious. A beautiful look-out. I could see all the islands, grayish blue in the distance, surrounded by some smoky fog. Nearer were gigantic trees, as well as colossal mountains, as big as ice glaciers. Pieces of rubble were everywhere. To me, this was what I call "raw nature". Nature at it's best. Everyone was chattering their teeth, while I forgot about the 30 degree weather and looked about. I can't even describe it with words. I felt as if I were the queen of the world, looking about my land. A beautiful land. The words, "O beautiful for spacious skies, For amber waves of grain, For purple mountain majesties Above the fruited plain! America! America! God shed his grace on thee And crown thy good with brotherhood From sea to shining sea! "* rung in my ears.

If I were from Maine (I think their accent is wonderful), I would say, "You may visit Bah Hah-bah, you may visit Poh-rtland, but you MUST visit Acadia National Park." It not just represents the beauty of Maine, it is a reflection of the entire world's nature. And it will be forever what I call home.

*America the Beautiful
Words by Katharine Lee Bates,
Melody by Samuel Ward

• August 5, 2014 - 7:47pm (Now Viewing)

• Jeremy H

Beautiful piece.