Kahasai

I'm 17
I like to dream

Homeschooled
Maybe a fool

Trampolinist
and classical guitarist

Archer
Let us barter

Mountain girl
I like burl

River otter
Viking daughter

Wolfdog owner
Forest roamer

I'm no fighter
But I am a writer

Summary of My Novel

5
Title: Beyond the Veil of Silence
Genre: Fantasy

Length: est. 360 pages

(Scroll to bottom to read my 30-second version)

Summary:

Spirits are immortal creatures from another world. They aren't supposed to be able to harm you. But when they start reverse-summoning the mortals of Ashgan, chaos and terror spreads across the lands. The fear is only heightened when a spirit brings forth a message: "You've overstepped your boundaries for the last time. I'll deliver seven messages to you before I kill you. All of you."

The problem is that no one knows what boundaries they overstepped.

Catt is a young wildren who hungers for knowledge and the trust of her uncle, Kiore. When the chance to figure out and stop the spirits--and therefore saves the world--comes up, she jumps at the chance to not only solve the mystery of why her parents died twelve years ago, but perhaps prove to Kiore once and for all that she isn't a helpless little girl unworthy of trust. In order to learn the truth, she must go against her mentor, leader, and uncle, avoid being killed by the spirits, and uncover secrets older than mortal memory. And when she finally does learn the truth, there is no turning back and she will be marked for death as her parents once were.

Jack is a human--or so he thought. He never believed the rumors that surrounded him--that he had the senses of the wildren, that he was born during the Silent Hour--until the spirit sends out the first message. It isn't long until he's pulled into mysteries he doesn't want and questions he doesn't want to understand.

Raj's reality is turned on its head when he is kidnapped from his home and dropped in a hostile country. His focus is only to return home in one piece--until he's forced to hide in the Cursed Forest with a girl with shady goals. As he spends more time in this foreign country, he starts seeing connections between the Curse and the spirits. Soon, if he wants to live, he must not only stop the spirits but destroy the Cursed Forest as well, something that had been declared impossible for thousands of years.

Attempted 30 second blurb:
When a knowledge-hungry girl jumps on the chance to prove to her safety-first uncle that she's capable, she's flung into a world of secrets where everyone's hiding something and no one wants to talk, and some will go to any lengths to keep their truths hidden.

I chose not to condense the bigger summary, but thoughts on how to be more concise in both blurbs would be great.

• Kahasai

Yeah, I like that part, too (and I say that because it has taken me years to figure out how to write this blurb).

• loveletterstosappho

360 pages is impressive!! and they sound like intense, action-packed pages. I love the bit about no one knowing what boundaries were overstepped because that just makes being destroyed seem so much more inevitable.

• Kahasai

Thank you, guys! I can't tell you how much that means to me. I've worked hard to turn this into a cohesive story. :)

Paperbird, to be fair, I did quit on about three novels before this because, as you noticed with your pieces, they wouldn't have worked out. If I were a sane person, I would've given up on this story long ago.

I might publish this chapter-by-chapter. I'm on chpt.11 of this latest (LAST!!) major rewrite. I know what's happening in each chapter, so I could start publishing it soon .... I want to finish Wraiths of the Moon before I worry about publishing it, though.

• AntChanel

this sounds great.

• paperbird

*it, not i

• paperbird

this is sounds amazing!! if you ever decide to publish it chapter-by-chapter, i will be sure to read. i know you say it has a bunch of plot holes and you constantly need to revise it, but if you've invested 420 pages it must be worth something. i've written the beginnings of about five novels but i never finished because i could tell they wouldn't work out. keep working :) i will pay off.

• Kahasai

Thank you!! I'm happy that it sounds interesting. :D

well ... actually ... it was 420 pages, but i needed to cut some things ... I'm estimating that the rewrite is going to be 360 pages. I don't actually know for sure, yet.

You just need a lot of ideas for writing a full-length novel. Some stories don't need extra ideas flouncing around, and I kinda wish this was a hundred pages long ... It'd make my life so much easier.

Thank you!

• pencils.and.paper.roses

Holy cow, you wrote something that was 360 pages long?? I can barely get 100! XD Congrats! This story sounds really interesting.