Little box man 6

~EmberlyLeviathan~

My name is M. L. Bartlett and I am new to the writing community. I may end up only writing short stories and poetry, but I will try to experiment more as I continue to write. I hope you enjoy reading my work :)

I would love all of the readers to peer review my newest story (if you have time), "Those Hardest to Love Need It Most." Thank you :)

Those Hardest to Love Need It Most

3
    Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels. I felt her need instantaneously and I knew she was drawn me.
    I wagged my tail, not too exuberant, and stared at the lady. She looked like Sam, but younger. I still feel that she’s here even though she’s gone. My heart was so broken and I was attempting to move on. The love she gave me won’t fade with time. Until my last breath, her heart will live in mine. But not only do I share the same connection with the new lady, they had matching raven hair and soft, green eyes. But she smelt different, like the bacon and the sea. Not like the smells of the flashing car and blue uniform.
    I stepped toward her and she did the same. Only my movement was to block the mess I made at the back of the pen so the world wouldn't know I didn’t get walked today. Sometimes the popular shelter keepers get too busy and I didn’t want her to think poorly of them.
    Picking the card up out of the slot by the door, she read my information sheet. I hoped she wouldn’t feel sad about my past. I only have the future to look forward to now.
    The lady got down on her knees and made the same kissy noise Sam used to use to get my attention. I shoved my shoulder and the side of my head up against the fence to comfort her. Gentle fingers caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship. Tears flowed down her cheeks, making dark splatters on the floor, and I raised my paw to assure her that it would be all right.
    She left and came back with the red haired lady, my caretaker, and unlocked the door. Her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms.
    I promised to keep her safe.
    I promised to always her at her side.
    I promised to do everything I could do to help her so I could see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes again.
    I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor today. So many more are out there that haven’t traveled the path and walked the narrow alley that my lady did. So many more could be rescued. At least I could help one.
    I saved a human.

1