11265106 910295352356656 7944241936944143166 n

Mallorie Cheves

I am a junior in high school and an aspiring writer. I love video games, reading, cooking (and eating) , volunteering, playing the guitar, and of course writing! That's all there is to it, really cx

I would like to receive positive feedback, however constructive criticism, such as redundancy or bad grammar would also be appreciated. I'm very grateful for any reviews, favorites, or follows that I receive, so thank you so much for all of the support, it means a lot! Feel free to comment on anything that stands out to you as well, thanks c:

Yesterday

PROMPT: This I Believe

3

"Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away. Now it looks as though they're here to stay, oh I believe, in yesterday."

Some of us are familiar with this popular song by the Beatles and favor the mellow ballad that each band member provided. I first heard this song when I was five-years-old, when my grandparents were listening to it on the porch of their home in Sun City West, Arizona. My grandmother told me while the song hummed in the background, "You'll look back at your life and miss the days when you were a kid." As a child, all I have ever wanted to do was grow up and become a published author, so of course I looked at her with disbelief, anxious to become an adult like she once was.

If you were to ask me at age five where I see myself in ten years, I would casually respond with, "Right here," or, "Arizona," where I was raised. I would have never imagined living in Florida for four years of my life. In the small suburb of Palmetto, although I had acquired some enemies, I became friends with some of the most hilarious, adventurous, and talented people I will ever encounter. They walked me through my first crushes, how to deal with rejection, and the easiest way to get an A in gym with the minimal amount of effort. I would spend the night (or week) at some of their houses, laughing over Youtube videos and crying over characters who had died in some of our favorite novels. Each and every one of us share a bond that is nearly impossible to break.

I would have never imagined living in Michigan for one year of my life. In the small suburb of Grandville, although I had acquired some friends, I became enemies with some of the most pretentious, oblivious, and hateful people I will ever encounter. They walked me through my first fights, how to gain social anxiety, and the easiest way to be framed for cheating on a test in World History. I would spend the night (or week) enclosed in my room, crying over the hateful insults that were thrown at me, and cringing over some of the rumors that had been spread about me, despite the fact that they were all false.

As always, my grandmother was right. I do look back and miss the days where I would carelessly climb trees with my friends, ride bikes through the neighborhood, look for snakes in the nearby swamps, and the overall innocence I used to possess when I lived in Arizona and Florida. The people of Grandville have stripped away that innocence and genuine happiness I used to have, which only motivates me to return to Florida and Arizona even more. I don't recall ever having troubles when I lived in Florida and Arizona, partly because I was a child and I wasn't expected to carry the weight of the world with one hand. I guess you can say they seemed so far away. Now that I live in Grandville, it looks as though they're here to stay. As Paul Mccartney and John Lennon quoted, I can say without hesitation, "Oh I believe, in yesterday."