I love dogs, Disney movies (particularly Mulan), reading, volunteering, and writing obviously. I am vice president in my school's National Junior's Honor Society, and I love that. I hope to become an RN someday.

Please listen to this album!

Doo-Wops and Hooligans by Bruno Mars Album Review

October forth 2010 was a big day in entertainment. That was the day that Bruno Mars released his first album titled Doo-Wops and Hooligans. This album started his fame and success as a musician and it still remains, to this day, one of my favorite albums of all time. It combined aspects of '50s music that are almost nonexistent today (i.e. drawn out musical phrases and simple back round noise), with stories told through song that are extremely easy to relate to, all written in a couple different genres to appeal to many different ears. Artists that I have listened to since the release of this album have not topped it, even Bruno Mars' new songs and albums have not even come close to this album, due to the lack of variety in the song's stories and sound. It is a must to listen to this music.
    The name of this album seemed strange to me when I first heard it and looked at the song list. Most artists decide to name their albums after a song on that particular album. For example, Red by Taylor Swift. However, this album does not have a song called "Doo-Wops and Hooligans" (Though that does sound like something he would call one of his songs.) After that confusion I decided to look into it. As it turns out, The Hooligans was the name of the band that Bruno Mars set up when he was still living in Hawaii with friends and family. Doo-Wops, however, comes from his father's nickname. Mars' father grew up in the '50s and loved the music that they played at that time, not the auto-tuned, overly produced music that musicians are putting out these days. He was nicknamed Doo-Wops because of his love of the era. Therefore the name "Doo-Wops and Hooligans." Mars takes this '50s theme to heart with many of the songs on this album, making the back round noise very simple and the vocals long and sweet. "Talking to the Moon" is my favorite on this album and it's because of those long vocals throughout the entire song when Mars essentially howls the word 'moon'. The historic and family influences for the name of the album and the music makes this album so much more interesting and takes it to a whole new level in my eyes.
    Bruno Mars is always telling a story in his music for this album. This wide variety of stories make it so many more people can relate to the music and him as an artist. For instance, "Grenade" is about a man that feels that he is not getting the same amount of love that he is giving to his partner. "Yes, I would die for ya baby, But you won't do the same." I can't personally relate to that, but then again I'm 14, so I shouldn't have to relate to that. On the other hand though, I'm sure many adults can relate to that feeling, so that insures them as an audience. Be that as it may, "The Lazy Song" is another example of this. If anyone were to tell me they don't relate to the line, "No I ain't gonna comb my hair 'cause I ain't goin' anywhere." I'd know they're lying. You can also feel joy for some of the individuals in Mars' songs. Like "Marry You". A song about 2 people that are so in love that they would gladly drop everything and elope. "Is it the look in your eyes, or is it this dancing juice, Who cares baby, I think I wanna marry you." The empathy, relation, and joy I feel for the character's Bruno Mars has created in this album's songs are one of the many reasons I love it.
    For most artists, they stick to the one style of music that they know they are good at for their first album and then explore different genres after they have a strong fan base. This was not the case with Mars. He went into his first album with songs that had R&B influences ("Liquor Store Blues"), Spanish sounding influences ("Our First Time"), and then the completely peppy pop songs. ("Marry You") All of these different genres are meant to appeal to different ears and personalities. I personally don't like the songs "Liquor Store Blues" and "Our First Time" due to the sound of the song and the message. But just because I don't like them doesn't mean that others won't. This changing of the sound is extremely smart with a first album. It doesn't only make more people listen, but shows listeners that the artist can do multiple styles of music as well.
    This album is amazing in many different ways; the history, the stories, and the mix of music genres. So it shouldn't be a shock that when the album was first allowed to be listened to about 1 week before the official release date (September 24 2010) it immediately hit the top of the charts in Canada, Germany, Ireland, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and the UK. That fame was not short lived worldwide though. About 9 million copies have been sold all around the world as of 2017. Only 2.62 million of those were sold in the U.S. In addition Bruno Mars radio on Pandora is in the top 10 most listened to in L.A. and Seattle. Many artists noticed Mars' talent too, including C Lo Green. Mars wrote "Forget You" for Green because, "Every man can relate. A woman may not have not have left for the purpose of money, but every man has had a woman leave them for someone they think is better." Doo-Wops and the Hooligans is one of my favorite albums of all time and as Mars has stated it, "I hope every young man listens to songs like "Just the Way You Are" and realizes that it doesn't take much, just be nice to a girl, and you have a good shot."