ELIZABETH STAI

The Environmental Impacts by Liz Stai

It's interesting to note that modern humans have been around for a very long time and lived for much of it without causing much irreparable damage to the environment. However, overexploitation and pollution have started affecting the environment negatively over the last few centuries. For years unfortunately, humans are the most polluting species. Earth is very good at recycling waste, but we are generating far more than earth can cope with. Pollution occurs at different levels and it doesn't just impact our planet; it impacts all species, including mankind, who dwell on it. The environment has changed so much over time, there are less trees and more homes, less people are walking from place to place and more people are driving which is creating the horrible air pollution some cities have. We don't think much nowadays, we get up, drive or take the bus places, we never think about the other options. Instead driving we could walk or bike so the air can get cleaner. Animals have been losing homes because of us building home by them and taking their resources. It is a daily routine to many to drive everywhere they, work, the store, school, etc. It's amazing how many people don't think about what they that is harmful to the environment for them and others. Increasing population, industrialization and need of land for development of expanding cities has led man to cut down forests selfishly. Not only are the forests home to a large number of animals, trees are also an important component of the water cycle. The roots of plants hold the soil together and prevent soil erosion. The global forest cover has shrunk to half its area in the last 11,000 years. During the period between 1990 and 2000 itself, the yearly loss of natural forests was 16 million hectares. Deforestation at such alarming rate has been a cause of constant worry for environmentalists the world over. Diseases have been developed from the harmful things that are exposed to the air around us, the main disease that has happened from air pollution is asthma. One out of every twelve people have asthma in the world, there is no cure for asthma. Now a days more and more childern have been diagnosed with asthma and have hard times breathing with any physical sport. If we want this world to be a better place, we need to think, not just do but think before we act upon what is happening. The world has grown to go with the crowd, if one person is driving somewhere, their friends will too. China is the most polluted country in the world. The air in Beijing is so polluted that breathing it does as much damage to the lungs as smoking 40 cigarettes a day, now that is something to think about. Did you know about, I didnt, just think about how horrible it would be to live in that area. Let this sink in, think about and do something about it.