Nadia Kotova

Hey guys!
Writer
Baker
Beverly Lewis books
Percy Jackson
Harry Potter
Louisa May Alcott
Disney
HTTYD
Homeschooled
Perpetually happy
Most importantly: a child of the King
I love you!
Jesus loves you!
To God be the glory!

Let me know what you think! I just wanted to remind all of you how precious your time as a child is and how wonderful it is to be a child in it.

Be a Kid

PROMPT: Signing Off

5
    Dear Teens, 
     The problem with growing up is one moment you're smack in the middle of childhood and the next thing you know it's in your rear view mirror. 
    It's not some long, gradual process. In the blink of an eye, you go from ribbons in your hair and pretend games to expectations and mountainous responsibilities. It doesn't feel fast until you get to the end of it. But as you look back, trying to hold on to the rope of innocence as it slips through your fingers, you begin to wish for just one more day as a kid. 
    Don't squander you time as a child. Eat popsicles. Play in the dirt. Use every ounce of your imagination. Sing loudly. Laugh. Read good books. Write fun stories. Throw a ball for a dog. Lay in the grass. Get excited about little things. Read more good books. You feel old at 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, but let me tell you, you're not. I don't intend to demean you, or suggest you shouldn't be more mature than a five year old. I only want to encourage you not to grow up too fast.
    You have your whole life to think boys/girls, money, clothes. You worry, I worry, but what's the point? As Jesus said "and which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? (Matthew 6:27. Seriously, when you feel worried, read this section of the Bible. Even if you are not a Christian, and especially if you are, it is the most wonderfully comforting thing you will ever read). 
    Girls, you don't need a boyfriend. Boys, you don't need a girlfriend. It feels so important when there's that really cute guy, but it's not. I know because I've been there. It's not important. The right guy or girl will come at the right time, just wait. 
    While you're waiting, instead of fretting about it, be a kid. 
    Watch Disney movies. Play tag. Hang out with the neighbors. Eat a whole box of chocolate. Read good books. Dance. Especially if you can't dance. Love people. Ride a horse. Go swimming. Go sledding. Pretend the floor is lava. 
    Don't worry about money. When you're 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, (mostly 16 and 17) it feels like you'll be broke forever. Especially if you have a job, for whatever reason. The thought of paying for my own insurance terrifies me. But it shouldn't. Read the end of Matthew chapter six. It will be okay. 
    While you don't have money, instead of fretting about it, be a kid. 
    Spin in circles. Ride a bike. Play card games. Play board games. Race your friends. Smile. Go outside. Don't be ashamed to play with toys. Hug your stuffed animals. Read good books. Enjoy giving gifts. Be thankful for gifts given to you. Get excited on your birthday. Don't let the ballon touch the floor. 
    Don't worry about clothes. You care more about your wardrobe than anyone else does. If people don't like you because you're clothes aren't "cool", find new people. In ten years, even five years, even five days, no one will remember what clothes you wore. Spend time on making your character pretty. Your soul will last forever. Should we spend more time on our outward prettiness than the loveliness of our hearts? Besides, you are prettiest when you are young. Wear what you love, don't worry about painting your face. You are beautiful on the outside. You are made in the image of God. He picked your features for you. No clothes, no makeup, could make you "better". Do not be ashamed of the way you were made. 
    While you aren't pretty in your own mind (and only in yours), instead of fretting, be a kid. 
    Wear pigtails. Go skating. Roll down hills. Play in the snow. Don't bother with makeup. Have pillow fights. Read good books. Try to catch popcorn in your mouth. Draw. Drink milk with a bendy straw. Give lots of hugs. 
    As 2017 draws to a close, I grow closer to full-blown adulthood. My childhood is dissolving before my eyes. These are just a few things I've learned throughout high school and I wanted to share them with all of you. 
    We live in an age where kids, in my experience, feel the need to act like adults. When you are 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, don't be an adult. You aren't. You are still a child. That's nothing to be ashamed of, nothing to fix. This doesn't mean you shouldn't act mature, but you only have a few short years to enjoy kid stuff. 
    Don't let anyone tell you that you have to be an adult before you are one. 
    Braid flowers in your hair. Make faces in the mirror. Bake cookies and eat the whole batch. Better yet, share them. Skip down the sidewalk. Wave at strangers. Compliment people. Wear blankets as capes. Read good books. Make things pretty. Put your whole heart into life. Care. Color with crayons. Pick dandelions. Swing at the park. 
    Your life is a gift. Don't let the time you have as a child go to waste. Don't throw it away on worry, fleeting things, or even the internet. 
    Look at the stars. Breathe in the wind. Wonder of sunsets and sunrises. Tell the people in your life you love them without hesitation. Find beauty everywhere. Find good in everything. Read good books. Remember you matter. Your life is worth it. Dance in sunshine. Play in the rain. Whistle. Climb a tree. Wear mixed-matched socks. Roast marshmallows. Radiate love. 
    Every second of your life is precious. Enjoy the small time you have to be young and be young in it. Your life is a gift. Please don't waste it. 
    Be a kid. 
Sorry to the boys about some of the rather girly references. Since I'm a girl, that's what I have to relate with. 

• Nadia Kotova

Thanks to all three of you!!! I'm glad y'all enjoyed it!!!

• Unapologetic Regret

This makes me so happy. When I look all around me, it feels like everyone is trying to do what they think adults do. Then there's me still binge-playing Tetris and freaking out over fictional guys. Thankyou for writing this! Glad to know I'm not just behind everyone else.
    P.S. I appreciate the "read good books"! I love reading :]

• AbigailSauble

This is an absolutely beautiful piece! And your conclusion is perfect. :) I see myself in most of the kid activities you mention here, even though I'm 16. :P But really, you get to be an adult for the rest of your life after high-school. So thanks for reminding me to slow down. :D I love that verse from Matthew. It's on my wall. :)
    Keep up the fantastic work!
    God bless!

• Kaitlyn ❄

Whatever, guys, deal with girls. Nobody says things are boy-y so....
    Anyway.... great message in this I'm so happy that you published this.