Img e0045

Lily-Arum

I'm a young writer from Australia who is always up for constructive criticism.
I love reading, writing (obviously!) and playing the saxophone. My favourite novel is Harper Lee's 'To Kill A Mockingbird'.

Please help me to extend my writing abilities by reviewing my paragraph. I'm always up for constructive criticism! Thanks :D

Letting Go

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

4
At the first glimpse of her family home in goodness knows how long, Annie seized up. It had been so many years since she had fled those haunting halls filled with memories of much different circumstances. Standing in the entrance hall, luggage in hand, each and every memory came flooding back in an instant. Annie's childhood drawings lined the spacious hallway, elaborately framed as if they were priceless artworks. Stepping over stuffed toys, Annie made her way to her childhood bedroom: it was exactly as she left it...eight years ago. Bed unmade, curtains drawn, the lyrics to Smells Like Teen Spirit written in purple sharpie over the hideous lime green wallpaper Annie begged to change. Clothes spilled from her overflowing drawers and discarded pages from her artbooks littered the floor. The only change, the one thing that reassured Annie that time had in fact not been reversed, was the thick coating of dust layering everything, dulling all colour...all life. It became apparent to Annie in that moment, that her loved ones had never truly let go. Everyday they thought of her...every time they walked through the halls, they saw pieces of her. Annie had left irretrievable pieces of herself in this home, taking only bare minimal on her departure: soon to be forgotten memories. Tears welled up in Annie's eyes...maybe she had never truly let go either.

1

• Johanna

The imagery and details made this piece beautiful... love it!

• AbigailSauble

Nice descriptions. I love To Kill A Mockingbird, too! :D Good book!