Jacob Taylor

I am new to writing in competitions anything helps.

December Story

Most people know December as the month of the year when things get colder and people get jollier. I however do not like December, mostly. I have many bad memories that all ways happen this time of year. It all started when I was around the age of 8.
 It was Christmas morning and was of course as happy as well, a child on Christmas morning. We waited for what  seemed like hours but was probably more like 30 minutes for my uncle to get to our house. When he finally arrived he walked in carrying a large honey glazed ham like he always does and still does to this day even after he had a stroke a few years ago. When he arrived and but everything down and was seated we started to open presents. Me and my sister had already started opening and we quickly finished tearing through all of our presents. After us it was the turn of my mom and dad they opened their presents and took their time while doing this. My dad he got a new TV for his room with a wall mount for it separately. He placed the the heavy metal TV mount on the coffee table. Then me being me I clumsily walked by and knocked the TV mount off the counter and it landed directly on my foot. This really hurt and we think it broke 2 of my toes. This created one of my more painful Christmas mornings. 
    This next story happens a few years prior to this so I was around the age of 5 or 6. It was yet another Christmas morning and I remember I went to bed early the night before so that I wouldn’t have to wait for the next morning to arrive. My uncle arrived like normal and he brought his signature honey glazed ham. Me and my sister opened my presents and got a remote controlled helicopter. I was very interested in pretty much anything remote controlled at this time so I quickly charged it and started flying it around the house and running after it. One time I wasn’t paying attention to and I ran straight into the edge of our counter top which just so happened to be right at forehead level. I almost immediately started crying and had a knot on my forehead from it. 
    These are still not the only painful things that happened during this month. This time also when I was 7 weirdly enough, my sister invited her friend who was 8 at the time and her brother came with her and he was around the age of 10 or 11. We were all having a good time playing: hide and go seek, jenga, and just being kids. At the end of the night though my sister’s friend’s brother started to pick us up and throw us onto the couch because he was much bigger than us. It was my turn to be thrown onto the couch and he threw my like my sister and her friend before her, but he threw me a little too short and I hit only part of the couch. This caused me to almost bounce off the couch and then to hit the hard wood floors. This caused me to get knocked out for around 7 or 8 minutes and then on top of that I had a seizure while I was knocked out. This gave me a ticket to the emergency room for 2 days and a week of from school which I was not going to complain about.
    Even with all these painful experiences I have during this month I still wouldn’t trade it for anything, because nothing can beats being with family even if it means meeting them in the hospital for a serious concussion.

• December 5, 2017 - 7:19am (Now Viewing)

• AbigailSauble

It would be a good idea to begin at the age of 6 instead of at 8. Because you said that 'it's when it all started', but you started at the age of 8. (If that makes sense?)
    Ouch! I can understand why December may not be your favorite month. ;) And I love your ending. Almost comical, though I'm sure it isn't for you.
    Keep writing! God bless!