11265106 910295352356656 7944241936944143166 n

Mallorie Cheves

I am a junior in high school and an aspiring writer. I love video games, reading, cooking (and eating) , volunteering, playing the guitar, and of course writing! That's all there is to it, really cx

I would like to receive positive feedback, however constructive criticism, such as redundancy or bad grammar would also be appreciated. I'm very grateful for any reviews, favorites, or follows that I receive, so thank you so much for all of the support, it means a lot! Feel free to comment on anything that stands out to you as well, thanks c:

What's In a Name?

PROMPT: All in a Name

2

As a child I had always wondered why they chose the name, "Mallorie." I was given at least two different testimonies, but none of them really made sense to me. My mother told me her favorite character off of "Family Ties" was named Mallory, but it was spelled with a y at the end. My father told me he had dreamed of me as a successful lawyer, known as Mallorie Christine, but dreams usually don't have a strong influence on a person, especially my dad.

Speaking of my father, he would always talk in his sleep. Most of the time he rambled, and as a child I heard him utter my name frequently during his slumber. "I haven't seen her for three weeks." was a sentence I was, and never would be, prepared to comprehend. Paranoia struck me, and as a child I thought that I was invisible to my parents. I cried to my mom about it, and she merely chuckled before her eyes teared up. "I'll tell you what it means when you're older."

What my father said in his sleep had never really left my memory. I thought about it at least once a month. I grew the nerve to finally ask my mother what he meant when he said this. She grabbed her mug of coffee and told me to sit down. "Your father was best friends with a beautiful girl in junior high, with curly blonde hair and big blue eyes. She disappeared during 7th grade, and they found her body a month later. When you were born, he thought you looked just like her." I felt as if I was nothing but a grim reminder of what happened to her. He hasn't seen her in "three weeks," but he has to see me forever.

Since there was a suggested 300 word limit, I wasn't clear on a few things I thought I should mention in the footnote. When I asked my mom about what he said in his sleep, I was thirteen at the time. My middle name is Christine, which has never really been cleared up as to why they chose that name. Finally, my dad was one of the first people questioned when Mallorie went missing, which is the significance in his quote, "I haven't seen her in three weeks."

• June 28, 2014 - 12:27am (Now Viewing)