Dsc 0263

AbigailSauble

Child of God
Pro-life
Photographer
Marine sister
Blogger
English Country Dancer
Dessert enthusiast
Sun-Child
Reader
Musician
Singer
Artist
ISFJ-A
Wind Chaser
Volleyball devotee
Movie quoter
Tea drinker
Airsofter
Cat lover
Youtuber

' "Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet My unfailing love for you will not be shaken, nor My covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD.' ~ Isaiah 54:10

Proud USMC sister!

FAVORITE QUOTES:

"Most people never meet their heroes;
I grew up with mine." ♥

“And the one good thing about being down here, is that we’ll save on funeral expenses.” ~ Puddleglum (The Silver Chair)

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. ~ John F. Kennedy

How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. ~ Winnie the Pooh

https://wheniwasanartist.blogspot.com/

Pain

2
The guests had left. Mom and I were picking up plastic plates, cups, and utensils scattered about the house. Board games lay in haphazard piles on the coffee table. The half-eaten birthday cake sat temptingly on the dining-room table. I eyed it hungrily. 
   "It was a success, then." Mom grinned, snitching a potato chip from the almost empty bag. 
"Yup!" There was a partial piece of cake on a plate. Sadly, I tossed it into the garbage can. 
   "Joanna, did you see my-" Mom was interrupted by the phone ringing. 
"I'll get it." Running over, I picked up the receiver. "Hello?"
   "Hi, this is Mrs. Dan. Are Trestan and Tina still there?" 
"Um, no." I exchanged glances with mom who gave me an inquiring look. 
   "Alright." I could hear a worried note in Mrs. Dan's voice. 
"Is everything okay?" 
   "I'm not sure." She paused. "They're not home yet, and it's already 11:00. Trestan said they'd be home by 9:00." 
My stomach dropped. "They left here at 8:30." Please let them be alright. 
   "Okay, thanks." 
"Let us know if you hear from them." 
   "I will. Have a good night!" 
"You too!" I hung up, then explained the call to my mom.
   "Hm, I hope they're alright." Mom walked over with a carton of eggnog. 
"Yeah." My voice trailed off and I hastened to open the fridge for my mom.

<->-<->-<->-<->-<->

"Spinal injuries." 
   These were the first words I heard upon waking up. I felt nauseous. I opened my eyes and immediately saw a medic kneeling over me. We were in the back of an ambulance. My mind went back to the preceding events. 
   Puddle of water. Going too fast. Lost control of steering. Screaming Trestan's name. Shattering glass.
"Hi, I'm Ali." The white-shirted woman smiled down at me. "What's your name?"
   "Tina." I whispered. My eyes hurt. I blinked and closed them. It hurt to do anything.
"Where does it hurt?" Ali's soft voice did little to calm my fears. 
   I ran down a mental list of current scream-worthy pains. I began at the top. "My leg." 
"Which one?"
   "The right one." I swallowed hard. The pain was almost too much. Let it stop. I felt the gentle touch of the other paramedic's hands on my leg. 
"What else?" 
   "My chest." 
More touching. 
"Anything else?" 
   "Neck, head." I muttered a few other things, but they were lost in a wave of fresh pain. I gasped, holding my breath. Please let it stop. 
"It's okay, hon. I'm right here with you." Ali laid a comforting hand on my shoulder. 
   "Just stop the pain."
"I will, sweetie. I will."