Peer Review by ALangford (United Kingdom)

A Moment

By: Adalyn025

I had just begun taking music lessons for the clarinet, so I was attending band rehearsals twice a week. At one of these early rehearsals our band instructor had told all the new members to just listen. Listen to the older kids play. During one of these songs, I had a moment. A moment where everything that was going to happen or had happened no longer mattered. It was like the only thing that existed in the world was music. It's very difficult to describe this feeling, and I've never tried before, but I'll do my best now.

I could hear each individual instrument playing, and they were beautiful. But at the same time, I could hear the instruments playing as an ensemble, and that was equally beautiful. And these two distinctive beauties combined was what I suppose I experienced. Hearing each individual part and sound mixing with other parts and sounds to create this rich, full song that enveloped me. I was completely and utterly awed with this. I mean, I had never experienced anything like this before. This feeling lasted only a moment, however, as the instructor had stopped to work on a section. And all I really remember from this first true encounter with music, was wishing that it hadn't stopped.

I've felt this feeling only a handful of times over the years. However, each time feels just as magical as the first. Perhaps that why I love music so much. Funny, isn't it, how you're the only person I've told.

I realize now just how important this moment is to me. Any feedback you may have is welcome :)

'A moment where everything that was going to happen or had happened no longer mattered.' - I think this captures really well the intensity of feeling that music can inspire, and the timelessness of such a special moment, in which everything around you stops moving and you're caught within something so beautiful.

As a fellow musician, I can completely understand why you chose to write about this moment. Playing an instrument is so special because no matter how much everything else changes, that remains static and you always have it to go to when you're in hard times. It also changes the way you look at everything: I listen to music in a different way, it changes my mood and never fails to make me happy and I've met so many people through playing. I can see why the moment you realised how beautiful music can be changed you sincerely. But even if you don't play an instrument this piece is still really special and relatable, because the moment you realise a new passion truly is a life-defining moment.

I really enjoyed this so well done. I'd really like to see you experimenting with trying to describe what you were hearing a little bit more, though - that could be really interesting. It's so hard to describe sound vividly, and especially when it's sort of a textural thing like yours, but I think that makes it even more incredible finding ways to describe it when it's that unique. As it is, I find it harder to relate to your piece in particulars because I feel less involved in the moment since you haven't really described the sound.
Well done though, this was a really well-written piece and you've captured a really unique and beautiful moment very well. I hope to see more of your work on the site in the future.