Nicholi

I'm 18 years old and I'm probably one of the biggest losers you'll ever meet. But hey, at least I can proudly admit it. Hope you find something you like here...

So I've been writing for years now, and I still get teary-eyed over some works. Everything you see here is from the inner working parts of my brain, so enter with caution I guess. My main thing, do what you feel is right because you'll be criticized anyway. So just write about whatever your little heart desires and will make you happy, because someone is always going to have some smart comment about it.

Call Me a Feminist

15

Call me a feminist,
Because I don't care for the catcalls or the pictures in your head of me naked.
Because I'm appalled that you kiss your Mother's cheek with the same mouth that you used to call me a slut.
Because I have to walk faster at night when your car slows down just so I can get through to tomorrow.

Call me a feminist,
Because I'm annoyed at the crap being spewed about how my shoulders, knees and bra straps distract from your education.
Because the second I stand up to say something, your attention becomes one of a fruit fly. Interesting how that doesn't happen when the game is on?
Because my eyes and clothes are apparently sending you messages I never said.

Call me a feminist,
Because I hate the phrase "she asked for it" that you use when you simply can't control yourself.
Because the makeup I put on for myself, automatically makes me a product for you; one that you should "take swimming on the first date".
Because my 80 cents to his dollar will always be my legacy, no matter how much smarter we both know I am.

Call me a feminist,
Because I know that if your grandmother knew the thoughts running through your mind as that girl walked down the street, you'd get knocked upside the head.
Because I'm scared to voice my thoughts, beliefs and emotions since they are just going to be written off as PMS.
Because my singular beliefs are written out and "mansplained" before I get a chance to even open my mouth.

Call me a feminist,
Because even though I want us to be equals, your ego will be bruised the second we are.
Because the "finger tip rule" was something I heard more in my house than anything else.
Because when I read a line out loud from this in class, you laughed and shook your head. (Oh yeah, I saw that).

Call me a feminist,
Because I despise the fact that your preconceived notions of me are stemmed from the extremists.
Because it pisses me off to no end that my clothes are created to get your attention, and the idea of me being comfortable is out the window.
Because when you mention a girl to your friends, the size of her breasts, waist and butt are the first thing they ask.

Call me a feminist,
Because late night texts seem to be your mating call, even though I'm falling apart.
Because I'm either the damsel in distress or I'm the "bitch" who thinks she can do it all on her own.
Because as a little girl I had to learn that when I don't feel safe, the best thing for me to do is put keys between my fingers.

Call me a feminist,
Because you think this is all about women wanting to be right all the time, when it truly isn't.
Because you continue to make jokes about how my place is in the kitchen, making you a sandwich.
Because as a way of mocking me, you change the word "HIStory" to "HERstory".

Call me a feminist,
Because behind every man who thought he was hot shit, was an incredibly strong woman.
Because when I dressed up as Rosie the Riveter for Halloween, I was either making a stupid statement or being "cute", no in between.
Because when you google "feminism", one of the top stories is how the next doctor on "Doctor Who" just CANNOT be a woman.

Call me a feminist,
Because the current definition of feminism has become so extreme that those who truly believe in its original ideology need to step forward.
Because Malala still doesn't get the respect and praise she deserves.
Because when Jesus does a magic trick, it's a miracle. But when a woman does a magic trick, she gets burned at the stake.

Call me a feminist,
Because every person deserves the right to feel heard and represented.
Because you still think feminism is all about hating on men; which news flash, it isn't.
Because I have to learn to not make eye contact with men as I walk down the street, and to not put my drink down at parties.

Call me a feminist,
Because when ASAP Rocky wears a shirt saying "we all should be feminists", he gets ridiculed.
Because I'm pretty and attractive up until the moment I reject you or put you in the "friendzone".
Because if I don't want to be your "babe" or "baby girl", then there's something wrong with me.

Call me a feminist,
Because your sexual needs and the idea of pleasing you and satisfying you aren't my priority.
Because if I wait, I'm a prude but if I share myself with you, I'm a list of words ALL shaming me.
Because you're going to think differently of me for writing and reading this poem, even though it's how I feel.

Call me a feminist,
I. Dare. You.

• Unapologetic Regret

YES, a feminism piece done right. I am especially tired with how we're at the turning point of equality, and people are seem to think 'feminism' means 'man-hating'. And extremists who do abusive things and call it 'feminism' just need to stop.

I love you for writing this :))

• JadeAndSerpentine

THIS IS AMAZING! You put this perfectly! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could write with so much passion.

• CreativeAngel

OMG this is so touching. I love how you can stand up and put this into a poem. You are soo smart. I don't understand this though, why are boys allowed to wear tank-tops and no shirts without getting attracted to and a girl will wear a tank-top or short sleeve shirt and then she gets harassed. Anyways, keep fighting for this cause and know you have a lot of people standing up for you <3

• camlily

I'm completely speechless- I can't put in words how much I love this. Thank you so much for sharing this!!!!!! You're amazing.

• LackingASocialLife

OH MY GOSH PREACH I HAVE NEVER RELATED MORE TO A PIECE IN MY ENTIRE LIFE I, ONLY THIS WEEK, WAS CATCALLED AND A FRIEND OF MINE CALLED A SLIT SO I G E T Y O U
    Honestly I wish I could print 50000 copies of this and stick it EVERYWHERE

• Kaitlyn ❄

This is the kind of thing I follow people for. Amazing messages like this. Wow. I know that people kind of hate the idea of feminism, thinking that feminism means all these weird things but I have no hesitation in calling myself a feminist. I think that every woman should be a feminist and so should every man. Our society needs to get over the whole idea that women are of the weaker sex. They are physically weaker as a general rule but I know some girls and women that could beat guys up and just because you are not as strong doesn't mean you are unimportant.

• Riley Noel

This is the most amazing poem on feminism I have ever read!! Thank you so much for voicing what all women feel or have felt at some point in time. I hope the world will keep changing and keep getting better so one day my daughters won’t have to walk around with keys stuck between their fingers and will get paid the same no matter what job they have!!! Thank you again and keep fighting!!

• old

Love this!