Peer Review by AbigailSauble (United States)

Our Willow and the Stars

By: Nadia Kotova

Whenever I miss you, I climb into our willow, with its dancing, feathery leaves. It reaches up into the stars, fingering them as the willow did the last day we spent here. 
    I find solace in the wind while it's on the cusp between fall and winter. It's the kind of wind you always loved, that burns your throat and plays with your hair. You told me you could taste the stars on these kind of nights. 
    I close my eyes and remember the first day you lead me here. 
    "Me and Finwick used to spend hours here, naming the constellations." You smiled sadly at the stars. 
    Naming the ones you could remember, I watched you, without caring what pictures lived in the sky. The happiness glowing in your features was always more beautiful to me than constellations. 
    "Why don't you name one?"

"‚ÄčA constellation?" I asked. 
    You touched my hand on accident and we blushed like the young, stupid teenagers we were. 

I rest now on that very branch, watching the collection of stars I'd named that day. A soft laugh escapes my lips as I recall almost tumbling from the tree. How you freaked out and kissed me without thinking. 
    The last day we spent together was in this precious willow. I'd talked and talked about how the stars made time stand still. You looked at me wistfully, saying you wished they did. We watched each other for who knows how long not wanting to acknowledge the fact you were going to war and we wouldn't be together for ages at best.
    And you'd kissed me again. This one slow and deliberate, as if you were hanging on for dear life. 
    I wish the kiss has tethered you here. You could be sitting next to me, smiling and laughing. 
    It feels like you are certainly alive here, not stuck in battle somewhere, maybe living and maybe not. But instead it's only me, daydreaming in the peace of our willow and the stars. 

Let me know what you think! This is a blending of multiple versions of the same story. It's the same story my year by year prompt piece is based on, as well as my other work about the willow. Thanks for any help you can give me!

It's so hard to pick a favorite line. :) The ones that I highlighted are some of my favorites. But it'd take too much space to write down the ones that I love. The reason that I love them is because of the mood you create. (Which I talk about in the next section).

I got goosebumps after reading this. You create a wistful, beautiful, picturesque scene here! Nostalgic to the core.

I can't really present the feelings that I got while reading this. :) But you did a fantastic job with the emotions, descriptions, memories, and everything else! Please write more like this. You are a fantastic writer!
Keep it up!
God bless!