b.mxtthxw

Harvey

PROMPT: Slow Seeing

0
    The day started out like any other. Mostly anyway. It was my sixteenth birthday and we were stuck inside. We'd gone to the store the night before to get things for cake and almost everything was gone.

By noon, the rain started. Slow at first. Just barely able to be seen by looking out the window.

It didn't take long to speed up.

Time started moving slowly. We knew it was a hurricane. We knew we'd be stuck inside for a while. The rain picked up. By the end of the day I couldn't see the street. The waves from cars were coming up over the sidewalk. It wasn't close to the door yet but I could tell it was getting close even though  it was dark. The rain picked up and then it died down. I watched as the water slowly receded. I watched as the rain slowed to a stop. The clouds never left. They only got darker as they flooded my city. Darker and darker for days, it felt like it would match Noah's flood. And then finally, it stopped.

The rain went away.

The flooding lasted. People lost homes but we are rebuilding. We are fixing things. Everything will be better.

• November 10, 2017 - 10:11am (Now Viewing)