Coffee

Sasha K. Lotnikee

Hello! I've moved to writetheworld.com/profiles/1668. Please check out and critique my writing there! :)

On My Own

PROMPT: Living in Music

0

It's beautiful. It's eerie. It's sad. Eponine's voice pierces your soul with her mournful words and haunting melody.

And now I'm all alone again Nowhere to turn, no one to go to Without a home, without a friend Without a face to say hello to...

It all starts out with a tiny, pitiful voice. The words etch out a message: sometimes, you feel all alone. The world feels so big, and you feel shunned and ignored. "Without a home, without a friend". It's almost impossible to imagine no one in your life to talk or relate to.

And now the night is near, now I can make Believe he's here. Sometimes I walk alone at night when everybody else is sleeping. I think of him and then I'm happy with the company I'm keeping...

Dreams don't always come true. Everyone says "Reach for your dreams!". But the reality is, that dreams don't always become true. No superhero, no princess, no magicians, not in the Hall of Fame, not a movie star...

The city goes to bed, And I can live inside my head. On my own Pretending he's beside me. All alone I walk with him till morning...

There's the dream itself. You can hear her passionate voice soaring with hope. Even though she's all alone, she can still imagine that Marius is beside her. Dreams are powerful. They can keep you alive.

Without him I feel his arms around me And when I lose my way I close my eyes And he has found me.

Dreams that have nearly reached the point of reality. The pavement shines like water, the lights are misty in the river, the trees are full of starlight in the river. In her dreams, Marius loves her. But no...

But when the night is over He is gone, the river's just a river. Without him, the world around me changes The trees are bare and everywhere the streets are full of strangers.

It's back to reality again. Eponine's voice is wilting. "But everyday I'm learning, that all my life I've been pretending...A world that's full of happiness that I have never known." Perhaps Eponine's greatest strength is that she is able to dream, yet go back to reality at the same time.

On My Own is a song sung in the musical Les Miserables. You can hear the full version of this song here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjfmP7h3gBw
Cry your heart out, and remember her words.