Flex!

Hey! I'm a new writer here, but I've been on many writing platforms. :)
I usually write stuff like romance, sci-fi, or mystery.

Rose Colored Shades

Every person has experiences, whether they're good, bad, or fall under both. For plenty of people, life goes by just fine and everything is looking up for them; however, the majority of people will say that life absolutely sucks. Do you agree? You don't have to. Mainly because I'm going to prove my point in just a second or two from now.
I am one of those mopey, life-abhorring teenagers who stand by the opinion of life being something drab.

If you're the type of person who looks at life through rose colored shades, try taking them off. Life is not great and happy-go-lucky for everyone. Think of the minorities, the religious, the poor. Jeez, think of the single mothers, the unemployed, the abandoned. Oh God, don't get me started on the heart broken.

So maybe, just maybe you would like to know why this is my point of view? Here's why: I am a minority, I am religious, I am poor, and I am unemployed. For the most part, I can't help the lot of these things. For example, and there's going to be a lot of examples through this story, I can't control the color of my skin. I can't control that I believe in an omnipotent being. I can't control that along with my religion and race, there are a lot of stereotypes created about me just because of the others who were like me who did what they did. I can't help being poor or being unemployed because as a student, my main priorities are my grades so that in the future, maybe, just maybe I can do something big and unexpected. 

Lastly, I can't help being heartbroken every once in a while. Nobody can help that. It's just a phase of life. There are so many phases of life that every single person out of the world's 7.6 billion people is going to experience.

Oh, so back to the point, life isn't all good for everybody. If it isn't for you either, then you'll understand. If life is perfect for you, I suggest you remove those lovely, red glasses. But listen, Life isn't all bad either. Please, I'm begging you to stay positive. God knows that's how the lot of us will survive.

As I walked into the coffee shop, I bit at my thumb's finger print. I've been coming here for ages. When you go to the coffee shop that I do for as long as I have, you'll start to notice the little things. The coffee stains forever hugging the carpet, the splatters on the wall. The same baristas putting on the same fake smiles.
Sometimes I work here when I can afford to push school to the back of my mind.

"Callista!" Jamie, my favorite barista, also known as my best friend called out my name as he ran a hand through his hair.
"Hey Jamie," I said, my smile spreading from ear to ear as it always does when I see him. He's almost living proof that good things and good people do exist. "How's business today?"
He threw his head back and imitated a groan. "Gee! It's crazy in here, do you not see this?" He pointed toward the tables in the corner and spun is finger in a circular motion. I looked around, noting the shop's emptiness.  His sarcasm was always his best trait.
"Oh yeah, I see it! It's absolutely bonkers!" I bit at the tip of my thumb again.

"So what can I get you?" His eyes glinted with a hint of humor. "It's always on the house for my favorite person." He rested his hands on the keys of the register.
I smirked and leaned over the counter and whispered so that he couldn't hear me. 
"What?" He said. " Can you say that again?" moved his head closer to mine and leaned in.
" I said: just a water, please." I put my hand on his cheek and pressed my lips to his cheek. "Walk with me?"

Jamie closed the shop early and decided to join me on my adventure to nowhere. We walked around downtown and watched the graffiti-covered trains rush by. The whole time we held hands and talked about why life was good. With him life was never, ever bad. With Jamie, rose colored shades almost magically appeared on my face and were impossible to take off. I know I lectured you and told you that life is practically a horrible concept, but I take it back.

I remember when I had the flu and he knocked on my door, in the rain, just to produce two tickets to Disney world. Or the time when my dad died and he came to the funeral wearing a yellow jumpsuit and those horrible white Kurt Cobain glasses. I swear when I laughed all types of fluid came out of my face. Not just the inevitable tears.

We stopped on a bridge. 

"Hey, Cal." Jamie said in a half-whisper. His green eyes stared into my melted chocolate eyes and his grip on my hand tightened. "If you could rewind and do anything different what would you do?"
I pondered this question for a little too long. There were so many things I could've done different. But If I did, nothing would ever be the same. For instance, If I never shoved the bully on the playground over stealing Jamie's toy we would've never met. Sure I could say I'd take back major things that really messed up my life, but then I'd rewind and lose all of the good parts too. So instead of taking anything back, I'd just said: "Nothing. I wouldn't change any single point in time that led to this moment." I gave his hand a little squeeze before pulling away. I pushed my body to his in an awkward hugging fashion. 

Everybody needs a good moment, good period, good person. I almost forgot that I have mine.
Forget what I said about taking off your glasses. 
You can keep them. I'm keeping mine too.

• November 14, 2017 - 11:59am (Now Viewing)