Buuuuuuck

Belle Morris

@acebuckybarnes is my tumblr feel free to come and message me about writing stuff

The Barn Dance

PROMPT: Living in Music

4

Imagine a party, it starts mellow, subdued and polite, but as time carries on the atmosphere gets more vocal, and hectic, but not in a turmoil, rather a joyous orb of energy. The piece, Barn Dance, invokes such emotions, that come up from the pit of your stomach and up into your heart. Musically, Barn Dance begins with the low voices of the trumpet, saxophone, and slide trombone, in my mind, it is the hum of pre-party activity, decorating the home, conjuring up bites to eat, and welcoming the guests into the living room. It is quiet, yet something is bubbling under surface, an excitement, ready to create a memorable night. Creating the celebration has just a zenith as the core of it all.
As the song progresses, eighth notes dance, fleeting across the page. Christmas eve is picking up. The summer kick-off has reached its pinnacle. People's voices once contained to a few feet leap bounds through the room reminiscing about years past, exclaiming the wonder of the moment, just singing along to the thumping beat. Swirling up and down, between overbearing aunties, embracing nanas, trying to reach the corner you thought you never left. Loving chaos, binding you to family, friends, gripping you into a furious dance, twisting into rooms that you tiptoed into. Warm chaos, beneath the curtain of a storm, the barn where a blazing heat tickles you from top to bottom.
The door closes, the rhythm slows, it is over. Quietly, as trash is swept and the radio begins its nighttime talk, you gaze around, the dance that everyone standing in the same room performed. Barn Dance.

This is a classical concert band style piece, if you would like to hear it, you can go to http://www.jwpepper.com/ and search for "Barn Dance" and hit the listen button on the piece.

1