Binary code icon 2

Glytch Montoya

I've been writing short stories and poems independently for a while now. In fact, whenever I get the chance, I work on my short stories, for which I use the word "short" VERY loosely. I'm looking forward to seeing your opinions!

Part 1! Also, if anyone has any ideas for a different title, please let me know.

Datadox (1)

SQUAAAAAWK! SQUAAAAAWK! COCK-A-DOODLE-DOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 
    Glytch awoke to the sounds of roosters squawking their lungs out. His eyes snapped open, and he started feeling around in his bed. Finally, he found what he was looking for, and he stopped the noise. He had set an alarm clock on his phone to play the sound of loud roosters. 
    Glytch took his glasses from his nightstand, put them on, and slipped out of bed, still hunched over a little bit (He always liked to sleep on his side, curled up in the fetal position). He slowly stretched out his back, nearly bending over backwards as he did so, and stood up straight, feeling a bit of a head rush. 
    Slowly, since he was in no rush, Glytch walked to the closet and opened it. It was full of dozens of the same (or basically the same) outfit: a green shirt (either collared short sleeve or regular long sleeve), blue jeans or khaki shorts, funky socks (whether they be funky patterns, characters, or even just have the word "funky" written on them), and a few fedoras in the mix. Glytch picked a random collarless green shirt, a random pair of blue jeans, and a pair of Flash socks (since it was Friday). 
    Then, since he is incredibly overmodest, he went into the bathroom to change (and not even the part with the mirror; THAT'S just how overmodest he is; he won't even change in front of himself!). 
    Once he had finished changing out of his GAME ON pajamas (yes, even the Mainframe has video game themed pajamas for teenagers), he went back into the section of the bathroom that had the mirror and the sink. He took a good, looooong look at himself in the mirror, checking for any changes. 
    Glytch was about 5'10", and rather thin (but not to the point of malnutrition; it's in his genetic code for him to always be at least a pound or two underweight), with fair skin, messy brown hair that lazily swoops to the left (if it went straight down, it would be just long enough to completely blind him), a freckle in the middle of each cheek (they made his face symmetrical, other than the hair; nobody can explain it), and brown eyes with thin green stripes. He couldn't help but notice that he was twitching, even though he was totally relaxed (well, as close to "totally relaxed" as possible for a Program like him). 
    So, overall, everything was pretty much the way it usually was. 
    Glytch then took care of all of his hygiene stuff (you know, brushing his teeth, washing his face, etc.) and left the bathroom. He went back to his bedroom, took his black jacket off of the door (it looks exactly like a North Face jacket, but without the brand), put it on, and walked into the kitchen. There, as he prepared his breakfast of champions (grits and granola), he took out his phone and called his most recent contact (really, the only person he would call regularly). 
    She answered after three rings. 
    "Hello?" the voice on the other side said. 
    "G-good morning, Vanessa," said Glytch. "Sleep well?" 
    "Oh, hey, Glytch," Vanessa responded, sounding ever-so-slightly tired. "I slept okay, I guess. My legs still kinda hurt, though." 
    "Yeah, I'm r-really sorry about that." 
    "Hey, don't be so hard on yourself. It's not your fault I have to use a wheelchair," Vanessa said, trying to cheer him up. "Besides, you did manage to code my legs back together!" 
    "W-well, I wish I could've coded them back to functionality." 
    "Seriously, it's not your fault. You did what you could. Oh, by the way, purple spaghetti." 
    "Wh-why are you talking about purple spaghetti?" 
    "Just making sure you're paying attention. Talk to you later!" 
    "See ya." 
    With that, Vanessa ended the call, and with perfect timing, too. The grits were ready! 
    Glytch put his bowl of grits on the table, poured himself a cup of water, and grabbed a box of plain granola from the counter. Then, he grabbed a plastic spoon, poured some granola into the grits, stirred it, and started eating. As he ate, he texted Ender, his other friend. (He would've called, but Ender is a really quiet guy. He only speaks to people he trusts, and even then, his voice is very quiet. Ender and Glytch go waaaaay back, so Glytch understood this. He never understood why, but, to be fair, he didn't need to). 
    Their conversation was just like most of their texting conversations: short and sweet. They both said "T'sup," had some generic small talk, and ended the conversation. Ender wasn't much of a texter, but it was better than trying to hear him practically whispering into the phone. 
    Once he finished his breakfast, Glytch closed his eyes and started digging through his own code, checking for any new damage. To his relief, his code had the same small amount of damage as it did every other time he checked. So, once he brought himself back into awareness, he grabbed his house key, put it in one of the zipper pockets on his jacket, and left his house to go for a walk. 
    Little did Glytch know that he was about to set off a chain of events that could either be his greatest endeavor yet, or his ultimate undoing... 
Part 1 of my most recent series! We meet our protagonist, Glytch, who is going about his usual daily business. (Note: the Glytch in this story is NOT named Glytch Montoya. It's just Glytch). 

I started working on this one around this time last year, but then, it was just a brainstorming file. 

Also, I am still undecided about the title, and this title was one that I came up with a while back. If anyone has any suggestions for the title, I'd love to hear them! 

1

• Kaitlyn ❄

Wow, I've never seen someone THAT overmodest.

• Glytch Montoya

Thanks! There will definitely be more.

• Lee Fudge

Good job, hope to see more.