Peer Review by ALangford (United Kingdom)

I write because...

By: Angela.Volpe

PROMPT: Why I Write

I write because I sorrow
I write because I am grieving
I write because my words can touch other people. 
I write because I feel to much to say out loud
I write because my happiness takes over
I write because my words are powerful
I write because I need to
I write because I want to
I write because I love to.

I think the last three lines are all my favourites: 'I write because I need to/I write because I want to/I write because I love to'. You write with great grace, style and simplicity. To me, these lines communicate that writing is something completely innate and necessary in your nature: it's unavoidable, ingrained within you. This I think is a really nice idea: you could respond to this prompt with loads of complicated and convoluted ideas about why you write and it's really easy to forget that, in fact, there's just something innate driving all of us as writers to pick up a pen and express ourselves. So I thought this was beautifully done, and you don't lose touch with yourself, which is good.

'I write because I need to' - it's this idea that at some point, when you're in certain situations or feeling a certain way, you don't have any option but to start writing down how you feel. It's just what you feel you have to do. I get this a lot with both writing and playing the violin - when you feel a certain way it's like the only way you feel you can deal with all that emotion is through these kinds of creative activities, through which you can express yourself.

I really loved this - you have no pretensions about why you write and your reasons are all really lovely. However, I'd really like to see how you experiment further with poetic form in other works, though. You clearly have a great sense of structure - how can you experiment further with rhyme and rhythm? How can you create different and increasingly creative forms of structure?
I loved reading this, though, and hope to see more of your work on WtW in the future!