11265106 910295352356656 7944241936944143166 n

Mallorie Cheves

I am a junior in high school and an aspiring writer. I love video games, reading, cooking (and eating) , volunteering, playing the guitar, and of course writing! That's all there is to it, really cx

I would like to receive positive feedback, however constructive criticism, such as redundancy or bad grammar would also be appreciated. I'm very grateful for any reviews, favorites, or follows that I receive, so thank you so much for all of the support, it means a lot! Feel free to comment on anything that stands out to you as well, thanks c:

The Greater Good

I turned in my belongings - whatever was on me anyway - to the man at the counter of the local police department. I was only admitted to the local station for further investigation for my, "crude behavior," however anyone who has been in my position usually suffers severe consequences.

What the authorities do not want you knowing are what happens to those who speak out of line. I investigated this topic for six years, since 2017, but cracked the code about four months ago. They have a system set up, where they send out fake prison letters to families in hope that your parents or distant relatives don't worry about you in prison. Since they revoked the right to visitations back in 2019, prisoners could only reach the outside world through letters.

These letters aren't written by who you think they are (most of them anyway.) What the government has been doing for nearly a decade was keep all of the real criminals within the bars: child molesters, drug smugglers, rapists, you name it. However anyone who might "pose a threat," to the United States, or those who speak freely and shed some light on this new world order are treated much like terrorist themselves. Some are killed right away, with a bullet, injection, or the electric chair -- I have yet to find out. Others aren't so lucky, and are tortured in an attempt to uncover the sources of where the suspect obtained their "highly confidential information." I might be one of those victims, since I had been kept on file for years now, and was already a threat to society.

I wanted to grow up as a proud father and husband in Louisiana, where I was raised. Unfortunately I don't feel comfortable raising children in a country where microchips are implanted in their fingertips and privacy is dissolved within the stars and stripes, which now in my opinion resemble a hammer and sickle. I may not even escape prison the way I see it. I'll be tortured, possibly killed, but my fiance Charlotte will only receive letters saying, "I miss you very much, I hope that I can return home, I love you," and all of the pseudo crap that are put in the standard prison letter. Of course they would alter some of the phrases based on Charlotte and I's profile so it looks genuine.

Is it possible to feel homesick for a place you have never been before? The Germans think so -- they even have a word for it: "Fernweh"...and perhaps it was Fernweh that I felt. I only read about it in old articles I inherited from my great grandmother. A country that respected the privacy of its citizens, the corruption in their government and how to put a stop to it, and the era of acceptance that occurred after the civil rights movement. Corruption has become such a routine part of our government that we pass it as nothing out of the ordinary. I do not wish to see a world where the Big Brother is in power and we're constantly being observed for, "the greater good," and if that means taking a bullet for what I believe in, then let me be another "threat," for the greater good.

"The officers wish to question you now, Mr. Destry," the man at the counter told me. The way I see it, I'm playing Russian Roulette with the government, and who knows, I might dodge a bullet.

Just to clear things up, I am NOT basing this off of an research or bias toward the government, I thought it would be an interesting approach to view a plausible outcome of the future government and an rebel as the main character. Any thoughts in this piece are for the most part completely fictionalized and I'm not some crazy hacker with conspiracy theories :P

• August 12, 2014 - 10:50am (Now Viewing)