Binary code icon 2

Glytch Montoya

I've been writing short stories and poems independently for a while now. In fact, whenever I get the chance, I work on my short stories, for which I use the word "short" VERY loosely. I'm looking forward to seeing your opinions!

7 Reasons Why I Write

PROMPT: Why I Write

4
    Why do I write? You want to know why I write? Well, there are actually a few reasons. 

1. I write because I exist... Uh, maybe I should explain that better. I exist, therefore I live. I live, so I learn. I learn, so I think. I think, so I get ideas. I get ideas, so I write. Therefore, by this very long use of the transitive property, we get this statement: I exist, therefore I write.
  2. I write because I can. I have a brain. I have hands. I have nerves that connect my brain to my hands. I know how to type. I know what words mean, and how to use them. I know how to take those words from my brain and transfer them to the screen by typing with my hands. Therefore, I can write.  
  3. Sometimes, life just sucks. It's loud, stressful, and doesn't make any logical sense. So, I write so that I can escape to a world that doesn't have to make sense. 
  4. I write because I can't not write. Inspiration is fleeting, so if I get a really good idea for something to write, I need to write it immediately, or I might forget it. (Don't you just hate it when you have the best idea ever, then forget what it was?) 
  5. I write because I have ideas. Depending on numerous factors, I could either be in my right mind, or... My left mind (That's not what you thought I meant, was it?). I'm either very cold, calculated, focused, and analytical, or very warm, spontaneous, unfocused, and analytical. Basically, I'm always analytical. I notice things. Anyway, sometimes, those two sides of my mind will work together to create these wonderful things called ideas. 
  6.                                                        42
  7. A while back, I checked this site, and I discovered that I had THIRTEEN notifications. THIRTEEN! That's more than I've ever had at once before! Then, as I read all of your comments, I started getting, and forgive me for the cliche I'm about to use, "a warm, fuzzy feeling." I couldn't help but smile. That made me realize something; I don't just write for myself. I write for all of those people that take the time out of their (probably) busy days to actually sit down and read what I write. So, in a way, I write because you read. 

...Yeah, that's pretty much it. 
Here you go! Seven reasons why I write, one of which happens to be the answer to life, the universe, and everything. 

...What? Did you think there would be some kind of secret if you scrolled all the way to the bottom?

• Glytch Montoya

Which part was deep? The 7 reasons? Or the 30+ comments? (This single piece probably has more comments than most of my other pieces combined! Well... Maybe not, but you know what I mean, right?).

• Bellbell0307

This is deep. LOL

• Aravis Tarkheena

Yes. I was not pretending to read your mind and tell the world what your last name is.
    Probably the references, the humor, and the prank.

• Glytch Montoya

OOOOOOOH, I think I might've misunderstood what you were saying. Just to clarify, were you saying that Montoya is my FAKE last name? If so, that's correct.

Also, I'm just as surprised about this piece having so many comments. This isn't even a story!
    ...Is it because people find it funny? Relatable? Are they drawn to the things I have to say about what I do and why?

(...Maybe it's because of the prank...?)

• Aravis Tarkheena

Yes, I get that. Guess why I'm Elizabeth Bennet. But as far as your pseudonym goes, Montoya is your last name! I should try something like this piece sometime. You certainly got a responsive audience. I've never seen over 25 comments on a piece.

• Glytch Montoya

I don't know why, but I love reading people's reactions to my little (incredibly long and drawn out) joke.

As for the name...
    Glytch Montoya is my pen name. My pseudonym. My "creative identity," if you will. My real name isn't Glytch Montoya. I don't feel comfortable sharing my real name on the internet. (Plus, my real name is much less interesting...)

• Aravis Tarkheena

I gave up once I realized how small the thing on the right of the page was that showed you where on the pager you are, so I hit the scroll button and went straight to the bottom to read the comments. Only after reading the comments did I realize you had put something on the other end of all that blank space. I do like your 7 reasons. Sooo, how is Montoya not your last name if your name is Glytch Montoya. That looks like a last name to me. My logic? It's on the end of your name.

• Glytch Montoya

I am so glad somebody mentioned The Question!!! Unfortunately, I haven't discovered what it is yet, but if I ever do, then I'll probably end up accidentally destroying the universe I'm in when it happens. Soooooo, yeah! I'm not even gonna try!

Also, Montoya is not my last name. I am a fan of Inigo Montoya, but he's not my namesake. (Full disclosure: Tomas Montoya was my name for Spanish class. My full name was Tomas Hernando Oliverio Manuel Alejandro Santiago Waldino Orlando Ricardo Santino Horado Alberto Montoya de Palo Rojo!)

...I think this piece has more comments than any of my others...

• Bo

Bit cheeky, making me scroll all the way down here just to ask what the ultimate QUESTION to life the universe and everything is. I mean, they cannot possibly both be known at the same time in a single universe, but Earth clearly hasn't been destroyed for an intergalactic bypass, so has it finished the calculations? It must have, and I want to know. Also, is Montoya your last name or a reference to Inigo Montoya?(Or neither, I guess.)

• Kaitlyn ❄

LOL.

• Glytch Montoya

I'm glad it made you happy! And that it was fun!

Also, no, the piece isn't called 237. It was briefly mentioned in "Glytch's Log," in ENTRY NUMBER 46 and ENTRY NUMBER 51. (It's a number that is very important to most versions of Glytch).

...I just realized something. For a number that's so significant to my stories, it sure hasn't been mentioned very much...

• Kaitlyn ❄

YAY!!!!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HAPPY THAT MAKES ME! THAT TOOK TIME BUT THAT WAS FUN!!!! IS THAT PIECE CALLED 237?

• Glytch Montoya

237! That's it!

The secret was a reference to some of my other work! That number! 237!

Congratulations! You have solved the mystery! And you get no prize other than the satisfaction that you have solved it!

• Kaitlyn ❄

Do the numbers have something to do with it? 237? I feel like I'm seriously missing something.

• Glytch Montoya

I've never actually watched Doctor Who, but I've heard great things about it!

Also, left is the right--I'm sorry, CORRECT way to go. To the left of ISA...

• Kaitlyn ❄

This feels very Doctor Who-ish. I don't know if you've ever watched it but it's so worth it! Two of the episodes are: 42 and the other is Turn Left.

• Glytch Montoya

Oh my gosh. With my secrets, I've become Toby Fox!

Also, no. Think about the clue. The "right" track is the wrong track. By "right," I don't mean correct.

• Kaitlyn ❄

So with the ISA thingy do they have something to do with the paragraph itself?

• Kaitlyn ❄

Parents: What is she doing over there all day? Kate, what are you doing? Are you just staying on the same exact page?
    Me: Yes.
    Parents: And for what reason?
    Me: I can't help myself! Glytch Monotya has me off on this impossible mission to find this secret. It's against my nature to ever stop!
    Parents: She's weirder than we thought.

• Glytch Montoya

Hint #2:
    Almost! You're on the right track... But the right track is the wrong track...

• Kaitlyn ❄

ISA?

• Glytch Montoya

Hint #1 of (insert number of hints):
    Pay close attention to how certain letters are oriented... A few things don't look like the rest...

• Kaitlyn ❄

Oh my gosh you don't know how many times I've read that piece over and over and over and I can't seem to get anywhere. This is so difficult. Can I have a hint?

• Glytch Montoya

42 isn't the secret I'm referring to. That's a reference. The secret is much more subtle...

• Kaitlyn ❄

42?

• Glytch Montoya

Well, the thing is, I've done this on another one of my published pieces, but that one actually DOES have a secret in it. (Also, there is a subtle secret in this piece... Can you find it?)

• Kaitlyn ❄

Not a problem. That's just me you know. Never make anything simple. I'm glad I made you laugh, it made me happy. I love making people laugh, it's a quality I seem to be lacking in.

• Glytch Montoya

OH MY GOSH!!! YOU ACTUALLY SCROLLED THE WHOLE WAY DOWN! HA!

...Ah, I needed that laugh. Thank you.

• Kaitlyn ❄

I DID SCROLL THE WHOLE WAY TBH

• Kaitlyn ❄

OH GOD YOU ARE SO FUNNY. THAT MADE ME LAUGH MY BUTT OFF.