Dsc 7916

ARS7

I am an amateur writer, photographer, and artist who loves Jesus and wants to further His kingdom by bringing glory to His name! My age is the square root of 256; I play five musical instruments. My mom home-schools me with the patience of God!

Look from other people's (and thing's) perspectives. Feeling what they feel, seeing what they see, and touching what they touch.

We Will Meet Again

3
I walked briskly down the muddy street. Thick dark mud clung to my laced-up boots, and splatters on my black wool coat and matching skirt made me look like a spotted hoodlum. My face was hidden deep inside my drooping hood. Drops of cold rainwater steadily dripped down from the edge to sink into the coarse material of my skirt. But I continued marching. Well, as much as anyone can while making sucking sounds as I stepped into the squishy mud. 
   The continuous rain had kept every sane person indoors; the street was empty. Brick houses, all alike to me, passed by one by one. The blacksmith's anvil was silent, the woodlot on the outskirts of town was empty, and I saw a few drenched customers warming themselves at the general store's woodstove. But I didn't stop until I reached the oldest building in town. My thoughts were heavy with the duty at hand.
   It sat apart from the rest, made of logs instead of bricks. A thin wisp of smoke curled up from the clay chimney at one side. A brown flower pot sat on the porch, empty until spring. Walking up the two steps, I knocked softly on the solid door, then let myself in. 
   "Glad you made it in spite of the rain." A brown-clad, gray-haired woman rocked back and forth in front of the fire, creaking with every movement. Her dark eyes caught my breath for a moment, but I found my tongue. 
"Rain couldn't stop me from coming, Ms. Abby." 
   Ms. Abby smiled and turned back to gaze into the flames. Swiftly, I took off my heavy coat, and set it on a peg by the door. Puddles of water formed on the floor beneath it. I removed my boots, and left them in a muddied heap in front of the door. 
"Besides," I walked over and stood in front of the silent woman, "my father has a message for you." 
   "What is it?" Her knowing eyes clasped with mine. 
"We need to get you out of England before the army returns. They know." 
   The crackling of the wood was loud in the silence that followed. This had been coming for a long time. I just wish it didn't have to happen so soon. I thought quietly. 
"I hate to run away like a criminal." I barely heard Ms. Abby's words. A tear glistened on her wrinkled cheek. 
   "I don't want you to leave either." I whispered. She looked up at me, and held out her arms. I stepped forward and let her gather me in her embrace. My mind sorted through memories. Christmastime, birthdays, baking, knitting. Tears pressed against my closed eyelids. "I'll miss you so much." 
"God bless you, child." I stepped back, letting the tears fall unashamed. 
   We silently assembled Ms. Abby's few belongings into a wooden trunk. Clothing, dishes for cooking, a journal, pen and ink, yarn and knitting needles. I wrapped up some food inside a blanket, and put it inside too. 
   "Father will come in an hour to take you to the port." I choked out, looking into the fireplace. The embers were slowly dying. 
"We will meet again, dear one." We hugged once more. For all I knew, for the last time. 
   I pulled back, fixed her face in my memory, and put back on my things. 
   "I'll never forget you, Ms. Abby." 
She smiled. 
I shut the door behind me and walked away. 

1

• ARS7

This is the middle part of a story that I am working on. I'll write the first part next so that you can know why Ms. Abby has to leave, then I'll write the third just for kicks. ;)
    You'll know in the next section. I don't have much knowledge of WWI either. :P
    Have a great day!
    God bless!

• Isabella Collins

Is she a spy for the Americans? I'm assuming this could be WWl, though I don't have much knowledge of it..
    I must read more..
    Curiously is killing me

• ARS7

;) That's for me to know, and you to find out. ;D Evil people aren't the only ones who get into trouble with the law.
    Have a great day! Thanks for reading!

• RedWriter

Why are the army after her? Did she do something wrong? To me she seemed like a sweet old lady.
    Please write more!