Binary code icon 2

Glytch Montoya

I've been writing short stories and poems independently for a while now. In fact, whenever I get the chance, I work on my short stories, for which I use the word "short" VERY loosely. I'm looking forward to seeing your opinions!

This is the first short story that I ever wrote independently! I wrote it 2 years ago, so the writing style may be a bit different from my more recent work. Regardless, I hope you like it!

The Mirror of Majora

5
    Many years ago, on a cold Halloween night, a teenage boy was roaming the streets. It was about 11:00, and everyone had already gone inside for the night. Everyone but him. The only light to be seen came from the dim street lights, the full moon, and his flashlight. The only sounds were the wind, an owl, and the boy's footsteps on the wet pavement. The boy, Nathan, never liked being cold. But his love of adventure and mystery was greater than his hate of the cold, which is why he was out there, with a flight jacket and a black fedora, looking for adventure. 
    After about 25 minutes, Nathan was walking down a dark alley, where he was startled when a raccoon jumped out of a dumpster and scampered away. Once Nathan calmed himself down, he continued walking. Right then, his boots got caught on a garbage bag, and he tripped, his boot tearing the trash bag open in the process. He fell, face-first, into a puddle of dumpster water. He got up, sputtering from the disgusting dumpster water. He straightened his glasses and looked back at the garbage bag, and he saw something shiny sticking out of the torn bag. He reached into the bag and pulled out the object. It was an antique hand mirror, with a decorative gold frame and handle. There was a handwritten, bloodstained note taped to the mirror, saying, "DESTROY AT ALL COSTS!" 
    Nathan was intrigued by this strange object, and, being more of a night-time person anyway, he decided to go back home and investigate. 
    When he got home, most of the lights were off. Luckily, he didn't need to go into the house. He went to the backyard, where his shed was. He kept all of his equipment in the beat-up shack in their backyard. He took his keys out of his pocket, and one by one, he unlocked the 16 different locks -- one for each birthday he's had -- and entered the pass code on the door: 5912 NESJAM. (You'll find out why that is later.) 
    He glanced over the interior of the shed where he spent most of his time. He had lots of Sci-Fi posters and blue prints on the walls, crumpled blue prints on the floor, and tons of science gear, along with some tables, a rolling chair, a recliner, a mini-fridge, and a bed. (He spent A LOT of time in there.) He grabbed a Diet Coke from the fridge, put his fedora on a coat hook, and sat in his swivel chair, pulling a microscope from under his desk. He took the note off of the mirror and put it under his microscope, focusing on the bloodstain. He noticed a few foreign molecules in the blood. But, before he could figure out what they were, he noticed he was getting a FaceTime request on his laptop. He took it out and looked at the contact. It was his girlfriend, Jasmine. He answered the call, and her picture popped up on the screen, her green eyes, long blonde hair, and red lipstick all perfectly reflected the beauty that was on the inside and outside of Jasmine Alexandra Marcus. She was dressed as Catwoman, with her goggles and her cat hoodie. Jasmine, upset, said, "Nate, where are you? And why aren't you wearing your costume?" 
    "Sorry I couldn't make it to the party. I found something... Interesting. Also, all the Batman costumes were either too big or too small. And, I got a face full of dumpster water in an alley." 
    "OMG! Nathan Elliot Sycamore, are you okay?" 
    "I'm fine, Jazz. My boot got stuck on a garbage bag, and I tripped. But, when I got up, I found this." 
    He held up the mirror and the note. Jasmine looked it over with her sharp observant eye, and noticed something. 
    "Hey, I think there's something written on the edge of the mirror." 
    He took a magnifying glass and inspected it. "Hey, you're right! Thanks, Jazz!" 
    "No problem. So, what exactly is so special about that mirror?" 
    "Not a clue, but considering that this note, which says 'Destroy at all costs' was taped to it, it can't be good." 
    "What?! Um, why are you holding it, then?!" 
    "You know me: always looking for adventure and mystery. Well, this time, I found it! Who knows what secrets this could hold?" 
    "Wait, where did you find it?" 
    "In a trash bag in an alley between an apartment building and some accountant building. Why?" 
    "Stay right where you are. I'm coming over." 
    On that note, Jasmine ended the call. Nathan was a bit confused about it, but he didn't care. 
    After about twenty minutes, he heard a knock on the door. In an overly dramatic showman voice, he said, "What is the password?" 
    "The password is: Flashpoint." 
    Nathan opened the door, and Jasmine came in. She looked even better in person. Nathan closed the door behind her. Jasmine quickly glanced over the shed, and said, "Wow. This place is a mess, Nate. How do you find anything in here?" 
    In reply, Nathan said, "I have a very complicated filing system." 
    "It looks like almost everything is just thrown all over the place." 
    "That's because almost everything is thrown all over the place. But, it's thrown in a specific place." 
    "That makes no sense." 
    "A lot of things I do don't make sense. Anyway, why did you want to come here?" 
    "Oh, right. Nathan, I don't think you should be messing with that mirror." 
    "Why not?" 
    "Nate, the note said 'destroy at all costs'! It must be dangerous!" 
    "Well, if it's that dangerous, why hasn't it destroyed us yet?" 
    "Um, I don't know. Why don't you ask it?!" 
    "Stop yelling. It's putting both of us in a bad mood." 
    Jasmine took a deep breath, which calmed her down. "Sorry. It's just, I've heard rumors about that mirror. I think that might be the Mirror of Majora." 
    "Majora? As in Majora's Mask?" 
    "Well, that's what it was named after. It was the only thing they could think of to truly reflect how dangerous it is. Legend has it, this mirror was created by a powerful demon to be a gateway to another world. That bloodstained note was probably written by my dad's friend who worked in that accounting office. My dad said he didn't show up for work today, and when he called him to see what happened, all that came from the other end was the sound of crushing metal and the accountant screaming. My dad asked him what that sound was, and he yelled 'DESTROY THE MIRROR!!' Then, the call ended, and everything was quiet. Then, my dad got a text from him saying to come to his apartment. My dad went over there, and his friend looked like he was just in a torture chamber. His eyes were wide with terror, there was blood all over him, and that mirror was on the floor. Then, the accountant said, 'I've made a terrible mistake. This mirror is a curse. I need you to go put this mirror in the dumpster out back, and don't let anyone else know about it. It must be destroyed before it destroys us all!!!' My dad didn't question it. He just put the mirror in an almost full trash bag and threw it in the dumpster. A few hours later, the accountant had died from the injuries and pure terror. I don't want that to happen to you!" 
    Nathan stood there for a second, processing the information. Then he said, "Wow. Well, that's not gonna happen to me, Jazz. I'm gonna solve this mystery." 
    Jasmine sighed and said, "I can't stop you, can I?" 
    "Nope, but you can help me!" 
    Jasmine agreed, and they got to work. Soon, they managed to find a magnifying glass big enough to read the carvings. 
    "Hm," said Nathan, "this looks like some kind of incantation. Let's read it!" 
    "Okay, but be careful, Nathan." 
    "Here goes: 'Meztok Blintoushis, Glacius Majorum, sectio moktikose, ventshatledak!'" 
    There was a clap of thunder, and the ground shook! Then, there was a flash of light, and everything was quiet. Nathan and Jasmine were both silent. Then, Nathan said, "That's it? What a waste of t-" 
    Before he could finish, the mirror flashed an incredibly bright light, then everything went dark. Then, light returned, but they weren't in the shed anymore. They were in what appeared to be another dimension! Nathan said, "Whoa. WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT?!?!" 
    The ground was several shades of red, blue, yellow, and purple, and it seemed to be flat, stretching for as far as they could see. Everything else was a light gray color. Suddenly, two shadows came out of the ground! They were silhouettes of Nathan and Jasmine, and their eyes were glowing red orbs! Jasmine said, "What are those things?" 
    Suddenly, the shadows flew to Nathan and Jasmine and hit them, sending the two flying. When they landed, they heard a voice that sounded like 10 voices, all at different pitches, all inhuman. 
    "WE ARE THE SHROUD, THE KEEPERS OF THE MIRROR OF MAJORA. PREPARE TO BE SEALED IN THE DEPTHS OF THE MIRROR FOREVER." 
    Nathan and Jasmine screamed in terror, and they were never seen again...
This is the first complete short story that I ever wrote independently. I wrote it in October of 2015, so you may notice some differences between the way I wrote this and the way I wrote some of my more recent stories. I wanted to keep it as close to the original as I could. 

Let me know what you think! (Well, if you want to). 

• Glytch Montoya

It's a classic case of Genre Blindness. You have to be rather Genre Savvy to NOT mess with the ancient golden mirror with strange engravings and a note that says "Destroy at all costs".

• Darth Plagueis The Wise66

Well, they gone. He shouldn't have been so stupid.

• Glytch Montoya

Sometimes, yes. A lot of my characters are sort of amalgamations of the personalities of people that I know, while others are more original. (Or based in part on a TV character).

(Full disclosure: Nathan's entire personality is based on a combination of myself and Dipper Pines from "Gravity Falls".)

• Glytch Montoya

...Well, not intentionally...

• -Foxmillionaire-

Was the moon and the owl a reference to the game?

• † Skyward Bound †

Wow! Great story, I'm definitely hooked! I'm glad I'm reading it now, when the sequel is out so I don't have to wait, lol. I love how realistic Nathan is, not acting all brace and serious all the time, and being a dork to Jasmine lol. Awesome job!

• Glytch Montoya

Yes! That's EXACTLY what I was referencing! And what HE was referencing! (This one is set in a more "realistic" fiction setting. Of course, there's still the "fiction" element of an ancient cursed mirror...)

Anyway, I'm glad you liked the story, and I'm glad you noticed the reference! There are a few more such references in the sequel, but they are much more direct. (You can't exactly comment on someone's favorite game without referencing which game it is.)

• Lee Fudge

Did you put a Zelda reference in here? If so that is amazing. Excellent work!

• Glytch Montoya

Thanks! I'll be posting the sequel to it at some point this month. (I'll probably split it into parts like I do with my other stories, because it's much longer than this one).

• saxwriter2

Whoa!!! This was a pretty good story. Nice job!!!