ollieollie

Um......hi

Over the past year, I defeated a fear of other people, learned the value of clarity and brevity, fought writer's block, and developed pride in my words.

Now I am a writer with a love for onomatopoeias and an affinity for semicolons.

It infuriates me that to the school systems, we're just a bunch of statistics. It took me a long time to realized that I'm more than a test score.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Smart

4
    They've been telling me to start thinking about college since my 6th grade orientation. I was eleven, not even a teenager yet and just a few months out of elementary school. That's when they told me that I need to worry about my future.
​    And they haven't stopped since.
    Every year, I get a slightly longer speech about how I need to keep my grades up, get high test scores, join ten different extracurricular activities and be the president of three different clubs, because by God it looks good on a resume and colleges only accept kids that are involved school government and have over 4.0 GPAs and four years of a sport and community service and AP credit and a part time job and a homecoming queen title.
    They want well rounded students, not emotionally stable students.

I have been terrified since my 6th grade orientation.

Because a 4.0 isn't good enough anymore. Any average smart kid can pull off a 4.0. What you need is a 4.5. PE credit? No, that's not good. Join a sport, that should increase your chances. You play violin? Well are you first chair? We don't care if you like to draw, if you haven't won some sort of award that doesn't mean anything. More. More. More. More. MORE.
    I don't think they know what they're doing. No, that's wrong. They don't know what they're doing. Because if they knew what they were doing, they'd stop. If they saw my friend have a panic attack because she got a B on a test, they'd stop. If they saw half of my class pull all nighters on a weekly basis, they'd stop. If they saw how terrified we all are, they'd stop. But I don't think they want to see the scars that they're giving us. They just want numbers on a screen.

I'm in 10th grade this year. It doesn't stop. It won't stop. It won't stop until I'm twenty years out of college and my sleeping schedule is finally going back to normal.

It won't stop until I tell my eleven year old daughter that she's already good enough.

• sw

This is really good.

• EleanorRose

omg this is beautiful!

True. There are a lot of people that are really smart but just can't understand a subject and get bad grades, and often times they just need to be taught in a different way, but they don't know this and think they're not smart. Great work!

• Kaitlyn ❄

Wow this is so good. I think this is how I feel. I can't get anything but an A+ or I panic.