Logo

novelistinthedark

I'm a teen writer of novels as well as flash fiction and flash memoir-type pieces. She/they pronouns. I read and probably talk too much (overexcited.) I love music(als). My life is messy sometimes but I'm living and writing and that's enough.

Hi. Let me know what years you think are strongest and weakest, and please check out my other work if you like this.

Congratulations

PROMPT: Year by Year

2
Year Zero: Congratulations. You exist now. You're tiny and you can't do much, but you're here. 

​Year One: Congratulations. You're leaving your second home for a third, four hours away from everything you've ever known.

​Year Two: Congratulations. You have a brother now, a little bundle that looks like you used to except blue, taking up the second bedroom along with your parents' time.

​Year Three: Congratulations. You have friends now, a pair of twins from across the street. You say you're in love with the boy because you think you're supposed to.

​Year Four: Congratulations. The twins have started school, and you can't wait until next year when you get to join them.

​Year Five: Congratulations. You're starting kindergarten, but not with your friends. Instead, you're four hours away, back in the state you were born in. 

​Year Six: Congratulations. You have another brother, this one with blonde hair instead of the brown of the rest of your family. 

​Year Seven: Congratulations. You spend school days adventuring with Jack and Annie, then come home and rave about your new friend. You barely remember the twins.

​Year Eight: Congratulations. You first hear the word "autism" applied to your youngest brother instead of your mother's students, and you're scared. Your friend isn't there to help, because she moved over the summer. No one ever stays in your school for long.

​Year Nine: Congratulations. You have a few friends now, but nowhere near as many as you have enemies. If listening and being smart are good things, why does no one like you for them?

​Year Ten: Congratulations. No one shows up at your birthday party, and only one bothers to tell you beforehand. You never see them again, because you go to a new school. Finally, you're the one who gets to leave.

​Year Eleven: Congratulations. You leave your new school in November. With a new teacher, you realize you love writing and start a book about Saige. She's more broken than you, and you're happy for that.

​Year Twelve: Congratulations. Somehow, you have friends now. You have people to sit with at lunch and people to be partners with and people to wave to in the hallways and you're not sure exactly how it happened, but you have people who notice when you're absent, and who think your little brother is cute instead of strange. He's in a regular classroom and reading already.

​Year Thirteen: Congratulations. You still have enemies, but now you have friends, plural, for the first time in a long time. It doesn't stop it from hurting when those boys call you Spaz, but now people call you smart like it's something to be jealous.

​Year Fourteen: Congratulations. You graduate from middle school and go to high school. You almost start crying in the hallway, but later that day your newspaper editor-in-chief reassures you. "It happens to everyone," they tell you. You don't know why it helps, but it does.
This is for anyone who's ever been asked why they can't just take a joke.

2
  • October 14, 2017 - 10:05am (Now Viewing)

• MyShotPotter

I loved this so much. It was so raw and real, and I'm so sorry that you weren't always treated like the wonderful person and friend that I'm sure you are. I can relate to some of the years in this as well, and I know exactly how you felt. Soldier through, us writers are in this together.