ollieollie

Um......hi

Over the past year, I defeated a fear of other people, learned the value of clarity and brevity, fought writer's block, and developed pride in my words.

Now I am a writer with a love for onomatopoeias and an affinity for semicolons.

This is the third in a collection that I'm writing. This one comes after 'Licorice' and 'Jellybeans'. If you are a bit confused, check those out and it might clarify a bit.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Lollipop

3
    He's looking at her, confused by the bounce in her step. There's a multicolored scarf wrapped around her neck, clashing with the heat of the season. She looks over her shoulder, making sure he's still there. He is, dutifully following, a gray cloud of cynicism emanating from him. She smiles, red lips curving around the lollipop in her mouth.
    He knew that a blind date was a bad idea. When his coworker told him that she set him up with her friend, he knew that he should have just refused then and there. But, there was a curious part of him that chose to accept.
    He cursed that part of him earlier this morning, when he opened his window to find the hottest, sunniest day of the week. He arrived at the coffee shop two minutes early, morale low and expectations lower. She arrived seven minutes late, talking in a flurry of introductions and caffeine. She pretends not to notice the dark circles under his eyes. He's surprised when she suggests that they ditch the coffee shop. For lack of objection, he agrees.
    He's following her now, trying to keep his eyes trained on the back of her head as she weaves expertly through the city crowd. She notices that he's staring at a family of three, a young boy laughing and holding his mother's hand. As they're waiting to cross the street, he examines the bus schedule on the corner.
    She leads him into a tall building, nodding at the security guard and waving to the lady at the front desk. She gestures him into an elevator and presses a button with a very high number on it. He assumes that she works here.
    He takes this time to study her. They haven't talked much aside from introductions, a few questions here and there. He notices the smile lines around her eyes, the way energy just seemed to roll off of her. He wasn't sure whether to be impressed or skeptical. It took a special kind of person to remain cheerful in the city.
    The doors dinged and opened, and they got out of the elevator. After hiking up a small flight of stairs, she dug a key out of her pocket and opened a small door. They stepped into open air, gravel crunching underneath their feet. A strong breeze whipped through his hair, and he followed her to the edge of the roof. She sat down, and patted the area next to her. He followed suit, awestruck by the view, by the bigness of it all. He smiled and looked at her. She had a strange look on her face, and asked him something that shook him to his core.
    "What are you running from?"

• August 28, 2017 - 9:50pm (Now Viewing)

• Peppermint Lemonade

This is a beautifully and expertly weaved story. :) Now I'm going to go check out the first two installments.