ollieollie

Um......hi

Over the past year, I defeated a fear of other people, learned the value of clarity and brevity, fought writer's block, and developed pride in my words.

Now I am a writer with a love for onomatopoeias and an affinity for semicolons.

If you have any questions or opposing opinions, please ask. I encourage debate.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Muddy Grey

This is a difficult issue. Propaganda and media on both sides of the political spectrum have turned this into a very heated and emotional topic, and in my experience emotions get in the way of looking at things clearly. So I'm going to try to be as objective as possible. I'm sorry if I seem unfeeling or callous to your opinions.

I'm going to start by saying that global interaction is a good thing. Getting to know other people's cultures and take part in them is truly a life changing experience, and I believe that we all become wiser by learning about them. Living in this world but staying in your own little cultural bubble is like looking at a painting through a microscope. It inhibits our own ability to appreciate the beauty of the human race, and it really doesn't make sense.
    Just look at the Internet. We managed to create a global community where we can all express our ideas and interact together. I can talk to someone in Australia without spending my life's savings on a plane ticket. And that's amazing.

But I have my concerns.

Yes, being able to travel freely between countries sounds like a good idea, but think about what would happen to all the different cultures around the world. Everything would start to bleed into each other, and eventually we wouldn't have different cultures at all. Languages would be lost, practices, religious beliefs, clothing, music, all of it. By enabling everyone to go everywhere with no restrictions, the little guy would be wiped out.
    I'm going to stick with the art analogy on this one. You need many different colors to paint a beautiful picture. But if you start to mix them, it just becomes one color, a muddy grey that isn't very interesting and can't really be used for anything. And the painting is ruined.
    Every country, every culture, is its own unique color, and it each plays a part in the masterpiece that is our world. I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to live in a world of muddy grey.

• August 26, 2017 - 1:18pm (Now Viewing)

• AbigailSauble

Yeah, ditto.

• ollieollie

Very true, and very well said, but the paints all still need to be kept separate to keep their brilliance of color. You need all the colors to create something beautiful, but if you mix the paint, the color loses what made it so special in the first place.

• Aravis Tarkheena

Not every picture turns out to be grey when the colors are mixed together. Children's paints do tend that way, but true artists use every color in every shade to create masterpieces beyond every other picture.