ollieollie

Um......hi

Over the past year, I defeated a fear of other people, learned the value of clarity and brevity, fought writer's block, and developed pride in my words.

Now I am a writer with a love for onomatopoeias and an affinity for semicolons.

Yes, I named my plant. Don't judge me.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

House

Cold. It's always cold. The air conditioning was broken for about four years, but now we were going to get our money's worth for fixing it, dammit. It's always on, and it's always just a few degrees above freezing. My room is the coldest in the house, so I spend my days wrapped in goosebumps and a blanket.
    My nights are surrounded by the sounds of partying neighbors and brassy, intrusive train horns. The former is at least usually restricted to weekends, but it is my firm belief that those horns were sent by the devil himself. Exam tomorrow? Two in the morning: Hooooooooooooooonnnnnkkkkk! ​Interview? Hooooooooooooooonnnnnkkkkk! Stomach flu? Hooooooooooooooonnnnnkkkkk! It is uncaring, ruthless, and just plain mean. You learn to ignore it after a couple years or so, but I pity the poor souls who are new to the neighborhood.
    My room is now permeated with the smell of Cheryl the basil plant. She sits cheerfully on my windowsill, soaking up sunlight or producing herb juices or reading poetry or whatever the heck she does in her free time.
    And because of it, now I dream of Italian food.

1

The descriptions in this piece were really good. I could picture exactly what you were describing in my head. Great work!