2015 10 25 12.46.30 1

alaina_janette

Just an 18 year old girl who still has a lot to learn. I'm a soprano, I'm a bookworm, and everything else in between. Still trying to develop my voice and make my ideas heard. It's a work in progress.

I wrote this letter to myself during April of my senior year of high school. I sealed it in an envelope with strict instructions to open it the day before I start class my freshman year of college. Suddenly, that day has finally come, and with it some helpful tips I jotted down for myself when I was a little younger (but no less wise).

An Open Letter To My College Freshman Self

0
Dear me,

Congratulations!!! You made it out of high school in one piece, and there's something to be said for that considering how crazy it was at times. Not only did you graduate, though; you're in COLLEGE. You're (almost) all grown up.

Right now I'm still not 100% set on anywhere, but no matter where you're setting up your dorm room, I hope you are excited about where you decided to go. I hope the process of finding a roommate wasn't too scary and that you're ready for an academic challenge. Here's some advice/tips that might come in handy to remember.

1) Don't be too hard on Mom and Dad. This is all as new to them as it is to you. None of you really know what's going on. Have some patience. Let Dad show you some new guitar tips, or ask Mom to help you pack, or whatever will make them feel better. That goes for siblings, too. Noelle won't be able to look up to you as the oldest, so help her find some confidence. Go to some of Owen's games if you can or Skype him once in awhile.

2) Try to stay uber-organized. Remember that you have ADHD, and things like focusing aren't as eay for you as they are for other people. Acknowledge those weaknesses, but don't let them overwhelm you. Just find a system that works. Stock up on flash cards, highlighters, colored pens, notebooks, Post-Its. Invest in a good planner. Put homework first. Have a place for everything. Make lots of lists. Do as much as you can. But don't forget to reward yourself, once you've earned it.

3) Use your common sense. Remember that you are here to learn, and you get to pick what you learn about. Don't waste opportunities because you don't feel like getting up. Don't let people in too quickly, especially boys. Be smart about your new friends and only spend time with people who make you better. Know your limits. Respect yourself and demand that same respect from other people. Make 7 year old you proud.

4) Don't forget to stay you, but it's also okay to be the you you've always wanted to be. You can put together those cute outfits or sing at the coffeehouse if that's what you want. College is the perfect time to expand your horizons, so don't be afraid to push yourself. But don't forget who you are at the core. Stay sassy, but stay classy. Stay curious and open-minded. Be serene. Be independent. Be YOU! (i'm sorry)

5) Have some fun while you're at it. This is college, after all. You're going to screw up a time or twenty. Remember to laugh at yourself. It's fine to take school seriously, but don't always take YOURSELF that seriously. It's a lot more fun to laugh than it is to be embarrassed. Go swing dancing. Sing in the shower. Say hi to the next person you see. Call a friend back home. Watch It's Always Sunny. Join a club or intramural (you'll thank me later).

Just breathe, relax, sit straight, smile. You've made it this far, there's no stopping you now. So go and make these next 4 years wonderfully, completely, incredibly YOURS. I'm so proud of you. Keep spreading the light!

Love,
Me