Dsc 0263

AbigailSauble

Child of God
Pro-life
Photographer
Marine sister
Blogger
English Country Dancer
Dessert enthusiast
Sun-Child
Reader
Musician
Singer
Artist
ISFJ-A
Wind Chaser
Volleyball devotee
Movie quoter
Tea drinker
Airsofter
Cat lover
Youtuber

' "Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet My unfailing love for you will not be shaken, nor My covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD.' ~ Isaiah 54:10

Proud USMC sister!

FAVORITE QUOTES:

"Most people never meet their heroes;
I grew up with mine." ♥

“And the one good thing about being down here, is that we’ll save on funeral expenses.” ~ Puddleglum (The Silver Chair)

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. ~ John F. Kennedy

How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. ~ Winnie the Pooh

https://wheniwasanartist.blogspot.com/

A Step Forward

2
It was all wrong.
I was no longer me anymore. No longer human. I mean, I hadn't changed form physically, but mentally. I had the mind of an animal. A savage beast. Ripping and tearing, biting and scratching. No intelligence or orderly thoughts. Just fight, fight, fight. For some reason, my life depended on it. I couldn't even remember the reason. The humane part of me had been swallowed up. What had I been before? Gentle? Caring? All I could think was beat them all. Who was 'them all'? My enemies? Who were my enemies? Was I my own enemy? 
   Rising fear bit into my scattered thoughts. Was this was I was supposed to do? Was this my final destiny? To 'beat them all'? Destroying everything I touched, burning people's property. Was this me? I tried to recollect what color my eyes were. Blue maybe, but my sister always said they were silvery gray. Wait! My sister? What was her name? Pausing in my fight, I thought harder. Mandy, or Melanie? Michaela! That was her name! A blurry image slowly came into focus. Chaos continued around me, but I was still. 
   Michaela was the one with true blue eyes. Sometimes they would look more green. Like when she smiled, or had a secret. Her face came clearly to my memory. Curly, dark blonde hair, always tied back in a French Braid. Her nose would wrinkle when she laughed, and she only had a dimple in her left cheek; she was constantly smiling. My lips curved in a feeble attempt to copy the remembrance. What did I look like? An old urge grabbed me, taking my breath away. Fight, fight, fight. Light blonde hair. Win, win, win. Contagious giggle. Stop! I want to remember! 
   "You're as beautiful as your mom." My dad smiled at me. Then he laughed, pulling Michaela and I into a warm hug. "You both are! The three most beautiful ladies in all the world!" He gazed at my mom lovingly, her eyes smiled back. 
   The memory was there with a startling jolt. I didn't have time to adjust before another scene opened. "Sometimes you need to push past the hurt to see what God's really doing." Tears came to my eyes unbidden. The feelings from that time in my life came back to me in a rush. My dog, Amber, had just died from cancer at the age of four. She had been the prettiest Alaskan mix I had ever seen. She'd been with me through the hardest times of my life. I broke my ankle, we moved to another state, I had to make new friends. We'd been together through it all. 
   I remembered her raspy tongue licking my cheek. Amber would lay her head on my knee, and look up at me with her one brown, one blue eye. "It's okay, Paige. Remember that I'm always here." Michaela hugged me. Was that my name? Paige? It was familiar. I shook my head, clearing my thoughts. This wasn't who I was. I wasn't a fighting monster. I was Paige. A teenager who had a loving family, and a powerful Father in heaven. 
   I took a deep breath, feeling Amber's tail excitedly bobbing back and forth, hitting me in the leg. I smiled - a wonderful sensation - and stepped forward. 
My inspiration for this piece was from The Oath, by Frank Peretti. (An excellent read!)